Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Advice needed from you wise heads....

Posted by: user259181 | Tue 27th Oct 2009 17:48 | Last Reply

Chaps,

As some may know I have a slice issue.....which is getting better but I want to get rid of it....unless I want a hard right fade that is !!!!

I've got myself a new camera that also takes HD video as we are expecting aa baby in late Jan.......So I thought that I could use it to see what's happening. I also managed to get a copy of cSwing 2008 to upload the clips into.

My question is that on the backswing I seem to wrap my hands/arms around my body too much and then push my hands out at the top and come down from the outside.....whilst I'm managing to tone down the 'push' out and cut down my slice abit, I think if I could get my backswing on plane from the start I would be inclined to naturally bring my hands to the inside on the downswing.

Do any of you have any good drills or thoughts on how I can keep my hands from wrapping around me on the backswing?

My feet position,knee flex and spine angle all seem 'good' - it obvious for me to see that it is my hand position that is causing me my problem

thanks again guys

Lewis

re: Advice needed from you wise heads....
user52922
Reply : Tue 27th Oct 2009 18:11

Gary Player used to do a cartoon type strip in the Daily Express many moons ago and one that has always stuck in my mind is this.

He said that the path of the hands on the downswing must be inside the path taken by the hands on the upswing.

As you are wrapping your arms round your body on the backswing you are not leaving any room for the hands to stay inside on the downswing, unless of course you have a one plane swing.

user24437
Reply : Tue 27th Oct 2009 21:53

Just a thought Lewis (as someone who's been combating this problem since I started), try halving he distance of your backswing and slowing it down, if you're like me you'll be thinking that you don't take the club back very far but in fact you do. Slow it down, don't go for extravagant backswings and see what happens - chances are you'll strike the ball better and not lose distance.  

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 27th Oct 2009 23:06

Lewis,

I hope I can write this in a way you understand.

Are you being taught to hit with static hips? That is the right hip staying behind until after the ball has been hit.

Or,

Are you being taught the old way and keeping the right elbow and hip together through the shot.

TheLyth

user83555
Reply : Tue 27th Oct 2009 23:26

don't really know if I am of any help here but I am (or rather have been) much a hit at and across the ball player ! DONT HIT AT THE BALL ' SWING THROUGH IT you have to swing / arc away from the ball and swing arc back back 'to in'  think of that compass with pencil you handled at school that arc is not significantly different to what you have to do with your swing and with your extension of the arms with the club (it's actually a little more elongated than that - particularly at takeaway ) but as a slicer this image of 'plane' similar to the plane of the compass with pencil is worth noting - PS I play off 18 "The Lythe" can play off 1 ...... you have to balance advice accordingly !  

Last edit : Tue 27th Oct 2009 23:37

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top