Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

I've hit the wall :(

Posted by: user40826 | Mon 26th Oct 2009 20:52 | Last Reply

Not literally of course.  Although I'm sure Sergio tried that this weekend before making his double bogey.

I set my goals this year, as we all tend to do.

- Improve my driving - stopped fading the ball now

-  Start again with my putting - much more confident now, no more 3 putts. 

- Knock 3 shots off my handicap (The main one!) - NOTHING HAS HAPPENED!

I've been playing for over 3 years now and have been improving every year since.  First year, got down to 22, second down to 17, third down to 13 and now - hit the wall!  For the 2 months or so I cant crack below my handicap - constantly shooting 84, 85, 86 all the bloody time.

I just cant seem to get any further with my game - its beginning to get to me now, so much so I nearly walked off on Sunday.  Good job my father in law was there, reminding me 'it's just a game!'  But its starting to get to me 

I started well enough on Sunday with a bogey, birdie, par, par start. 5th hole, I hit a decent tee shot, fluffed my wedge to the green and that was it - 7 card gone! 

I'm seriously at a loose end now with what is happening.

I'm wondering if lessons would be the answer but as I have never had one before I'm a bit worried it may damage my game in the short term.  I've always worked my way through any problems myself by practice, practice, practice. If my putting is off - I'll hit the putting green, or the garage for a few hours a week, irons - the range etc  None of this seems to be working at the moment. 

So fellow golfers, what the hell is going on?  Is it really all in my head?

A worried, stuck golfer. 

re: I've hit the wall :(
user52922
Reply : Mon 26th Oct 2009 21:10

The transition from your current handicap into single figures can only be achieved by hitting more greens in regulation than you are cuurently doing.

user40826
Reply : Mon 26th Oct 2009 21:27

I've not entered any stats for ages, been hitting about 5/18 GIR, suppose that aint enough is it - so it could be iron work needed then.  More accuracy. 

user40826
Reply : Tue 27th Oct 2009 06:05

Brilliant stuff this gents, cheers.  Right I'm going to bite the bullet and take these lessons after Christmas with the lead up to the new season - already thinking ahead.

This sounds daft, but how often do you guys have your lessons? Once a week? Once a fortnight?

This is going to be tough - I've always found my own way of doing things.  But if I want those magical single figures..... 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 27th Oct 2009 14:47

Chris, what are your problem areas?

Keep stats of your round and then you can see what part of your game is letting you down.

Once you find out which part of the game it is have a lesson, then practice solidly for two weeks on that item.

Then hopefully you'll save yourself some shots and your handicap will start going down.

At this moment I'm the same as you, cannot seem to get away from the 12 to 13 handicap range.  I go up to 13 then have a good round which takes me back to 12 then I gradually go back up to 13!

Russ

user40826
Reply : Tue 27th Oct 2009 18:57

Jonny P,

Not got a recent swing video but I will get one hopefully this week for you - do you need side view and back?

I play once a week, every week without fail.  If I'm off work (Teacher) I'll play about 3 times a week.

Practice - Once a week at the range, mainly practice yardages and play a perfect imaginary round for my home course.  Putting at home in the garage - got a perfectly smooth floor in there, brilliant for practice. I suppose I don't work on my chipping very often??

Russell,

I used to keep my stats all the time, until I got a skycaddie (keep score on there), now I only track putting - I average around the 30 mark.

Problem areas seem to be a fade off the tee and using my 56 and 52 (especially my 52) from under 100 yards - usually end up hitting the ground before the ball (taking too much ground).

The frustrating thing about all of this is that I'll seem to fix something (cant think of a better word) and things will be going well - feel I'm striking the ball better, then a few weeks later I'll suddenly struggle again without changing anything - well without realising it.  For example a few weeks ago, I started to stand more upright (better posture) and I struck the ball really well hitting plenty of greens - but couldn't putt that day!

It seems I'm constantly expecting THE round every time I go out.  Are my expectations too high? 

Last edit : Tue 27th Oct 2009 18:59
user40826
Reply : Wed 28th Oct 2009 21:30

Hopefully off for a round tomorrow - going to go and enjoy it and not think about my handicap.  I think I've realised that I cant get down to single figures without playing more than twice a week.  I can't do that until the light nights in the summer months.  

So, after thinking about this, taking on board what you've all said.... my plan is as follows.

- Enjoy the game - stop worrying about my handicap

- Have the lessons in the new year

- Play twice a week in the summer months - and enjoy!

- Practice when I haven't got the time to play a full round - Short game, short game, short game.

- Keep a detailed track of my stats - stop using the sky caddie to track my scores.

- Start a blog on here to keep you all informed of my progress! A bit like a support program - Keep me going when I have a bad round by reading the positive parts of the blog! 

Anything other ideas would be welcome. Should be a roller coster of fun in the coming year!

I've started the blog with a bit of background if anybody is interested?? 

Last edit : Wed 28th Oct 2009 22:26
user81455
Reply : Thu 12th Nov 2009 23:47

David Marshall commented that it is more difficult to reduce your handicap the lower it gets because of the way it is calculated.  You should also bear in mind that handicaps are based on your best rounds and therefore not the best indication of whether you are improving or going backwards. They tend to drop when you have the occasional brilliant round and then spend a long time edging up. 

I would suggest that you also monitor your average score on the course you play most often which if looked over a decent period of time would give you a better indication of improvement or stagnation.

Last edit : Fri 13th Nov 2009 00:01
user99350
Reply : Fri 13th Nov 2009 09:04

Chris, JP summed it up in that short sentence, you've got to hit more GIR. I think that the way to do this is also summed up by Jonny P. Be brutally honest about your weak areas and practice these relentlessly. Also you're into the temperament zone now: don't beat yourself up about a fluffed shot....it's gone and there's f*ck all you can do about it. You must get it out of your mind and DON'T revisit the last fluffed shot when you need to do the next similar one (if you can't then use another club and compromise). One poor score does not mean your card is ruined. Was it Garcia that said he honestly thinks he'll get it in the hole from 130yds out. Nice to hear that your putting and driving has improved.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top