Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Road hole

Posted by: user81455 | Mon 19th Oct 2009 21:30 | Last Reply

Was disappointed to hear that they are increasing the length of the Road Hole for next year's Open.  The article I read said it was due to golfers like Rory McIlroy being able to hit their approaches with short irons reducing the hazard of the front bunker and the road behind the green. The article went on to say that Tim Henman birdied the hole in the recent pro-am. 

Surely a better solution  would have been to insert fairway bunkers to reduce the length of drives.  Making the hole longer just plays into the hands of the really big hitters.

re: Road hole
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 19th Oct 2009 23:26

Having played "the old lady" on many occasions I can't see how they are going to move the 17th tee back 35yds without causing problems. It will mean driving over the 16th green and bringing the 2nd fairway into a target area.

I could see the tee extended about 10yds and the corner being blocked off so forcing players further left for a longer 2nd shot.

TheLyth

re: Road hole
user106712
Reply : Tue 20th Oct 2009 17:48

Lots of courses now are making the fairways narrower the further they get, so a long drive must be more accurate than a shorter one.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top