Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driver Agony !!

Posted by: user269249 | Sun 18th Oct 2009 23:24 | Last Reply

hi all

Ive been out of the game for a while after a serious back injury, I used to play off 7. Since returning ive gradually gained confidence in my swing again and i am actually a lot more accurate with my iron play than ever before, obviously down to having to Reduce my back swing, I have now got my handicap back to 13.3 which i am more than happy with, as ive only been playing again about 4 months.    The Major frustration is my driver and tee shots I just cannot hit consitent drives, and cant feel where im going wrong, when previously playing if i hit a bad drive it would be a slice, now however i seem to be snap hooking the ball , ive tried different ball positions at address But still seem to do it, i know from experience i just need the confidence there as with my irons, but its difficult without the consistency, when i do connect and hit the ball Ok my drives are always 270-300 yds even after the surgery, so no problems with the distance, I feel with the improvement in my iron play if i sorted the driver i could knock at least 5 - 8 shots per round Thats how bad it is !! off my scores, ive had my swing checked and the shafts etc are all correct for my swing speed,

Any advise would be most welcome,

thanks 4 reading

Last edit : Sun 18th Oct 2009 23:42
re: Driver Agony !!
user24437
Reply : Mon 19th Oct 2009 10:57

Sorry if this sounds a bit short Danny, but what's the problem?  If you're hitting 270-300 after surgery then I think the problem with you dropping shots is more to do with course management than the ability to hit a driver.  Try backing it off a bit, would it really kill your game to lose 10% distance on your drive for the sake of accuracy?

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 19th Oct 2009 11:30

Hi Danny,

Heres the phycology for your problem, because that is what it is.

When you hit a good one, everything was in place. The bad shot comes from two points. 1. You don't complete the backswing before starting you downswing because you are trying to protect your back. 2. You quit on the follow-through for the same reason.

So get it into your head that your back is OK (that is if it is OK) so you can commit and release.

TheLyth

user106712
Reply : Mon 19th Oct 2009 14:50

Hi Danny, if you can hit a driver that far, then you can drive all but 2 of the par 4's at middleton and get most of the way on the par 5. really you don't need a driver there, I bet if you leave it at home you will knock 5 or more shots off your game. just until you feel more confident that is!

p.s. I think you may be realeasing the club head too early, so that by the time it gets to the ball your hands have turned over too far.

Reply : Mon 19th Oct 2009 23:16

Danny,

Which Club are you joining?

I'm a member at Horsforth and get Free Golf at many courses in the UK because of the 1906 Club, as is South Leeds GC.

TheLyth

user106712
Reply : Tue 20th Oct 2009 17:31

Have you had a look at oulton hall? at the moment you can join for 12 months but get up to April 2011 thats 18 months for the price of 12. no winter greens or tees. no joining fee, 27 holes. £50 per month for 5 day membership and £70 per month for 7 days. I'm a member and its a very nice course....South leeds is ok if you like schoolkids walking over the firways in front of you, and it's very short.

Last edit : Tue 20th Oct 2009 18:01
Reply : Tue 20th Oct 2009 17:50

Danny,

"The 1906 Club" are a group of Golf Clubs that opened for business in 1906. They have got together and offer Free Golf to members of other Clubs in the group. This year the number was 44, including the likes of Fulford, Gosforth and Crans-sur-Sierre.

Horsforths Full membership is £810 from 111

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top