Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What way to go?????

Posted by: user259181 | Mon 12th Oct 2009 10:39 | Last Reply

I'm a few months into playing golf, doing quite well and having fun - haven't bothered or worried about getting scores out on the course too much as I've been spending most my time at practice facility at my club and having lessons. I seem to be doing alright !

The reason for my post is that I have bought a used set of clubs for a song....I got a set of used Mizuno MP32's for less than £100, they are in great nick and from all accounts from the reviews I've read they are an amazing set of clubs.

My problem;

Do I go straight to these and learn the hard way how to strike the ball well or do I stay with my cheap Wilson Prostaff set? I have no problem going backwards to go forwards....I'm using the winter to get myself into a position so not to be an embarrassment on the course come the Spring. The Mizunos will tell me if I'm not striking the ball well and I think I might progress better and quicker with that type of feedback

Any thoughts...... and did I get a good deal.....?

Lewis

re: What way to go?????
user24437
Reply : Mon 12th Oct 2009 11:33

Lewis, you've got them, use them.  Sell the old set and work with the new ones - going back to old clubs is fatal at our level..

user99350
Reply : Mon 12th Oct 2009 13:27

Lewis, I'm with Johnny on this one. You're going to make it hard for yourself playing with blades, the Mizumo ones you have are a lovely club and £100 is a bargain but they'll wear you confidence down because you have to strike them so much better, there's v little margin for error, and that's just talking about the contact (leave aside hitting it fat or thin) if you don't you'll be nowhere. But you'll know when you've hit a good shoti

I will say this though: have a practice with the mizumo's say 7, 8 9 iron and get a feel for what you have to do to hit a good shot. Then go back to your Wilson's and I'll bet you hit the Wilson's better.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 12th Oct 2009 13:53

I'm with Jonny on this.  There's no enjoyment in struggling to use a club and if you don't enjoy it you will soon lose interest.  There is, however, a suggestion I'd like to make. 

Why not practice with the Mizzy's and play with the Wilsons?

When I am working on something in particular with my irons, I always practice with a long iron (3 or 4).  This shows up the impact of the change much more than a 8 or 9 iron.  It may help you to play with the forgiving irons (and not get frustrated) but practice with the more difficult ones so you can see the improvement.  And when you get on the course, it'll seem so easy to hit the ball well with the Wilsons!

user69191
Reply : Mon 12th Oct 2009 20:02

I play with a set of MP32's and they are just the best irons I've ever hit, give them a go. They're musclebacks so they're not actually true blades and you'll be surprised at how forgiving they are. Luke Donald still used them long after Mizuno replaced them with an updated model. Play a couple of rounds of golf carrying your old 3, 4, 5 and 6 irons, but mix them up with your MP32 7, 8, 9 and PW, a bit like a combo set. You'll know what you prefer straight away when you hit one out of the middle, soft as butter and like hitting cotton wool!

Paul

user77012
Reply : Mon 12th Oct 2009 21:00

Lewis how you getting on with the book reading??

user77012
Reply : Mon 12th Oct 2009 21:44

That's quite unusal for a pro to base his teachings on 5 lessons so you are lucky in that respect and good luck. Pay peticular attention to the grip diagams and study how the illustrator captures the tension he is generating in his shirt and trouser legs highlighted with shading,

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top