Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

drivers and putters for high handicappers

Posted by: user269393 | Sat 10th Oct 2009 17:07 | Last Reply

After playing a society yesterday ... my putting was terrible and my driving worse. Had the same putter for ages and it is not installing confidence (Odyssey mallet) and bought the Taylormade Burner earlier this year ...but still not sure......so I am debating a complete change of kit

I have a mixed bag: Callawat big bertha irons 6 - SW, callway big bertha 5W and 3W Wilson Deep Red hybrid and a 'Perfect Club'

My big down fall is my putting and lack of length with drivers ......

Any suggestions for a high handicapper (nothing official but between 24-28)

Dean

re: drivers and putters for high handicappers
user38216
Reply : Sat 10th Oct 2009 17:10

LESSONS.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 10th Oct 2009 17:31

It's not the kit, it's YOU!!!!!

The problem is that you are not playing well enough to be able to tell if the equipment you have got is working for you.

It's already been said but go and have a lesson.  My pro does a combined putting/chipping lesson that takes one hour, can you afford the lesson and the time to get better with your putting/chipping?  I'm sure we all could do with this.

The other thing that comes to mind is practice, how much putting practice do you do?  I don't mean the thirty seconds on the putting green before playing, but proper practice!

Once you have the correct technique then you can worry about changing your kit to improve your game.  Don't change your kit if you haven't got the technique!

Hope this helps.

Russ

user69191
Reply : Sat 10th Oct 2009 20:16

Whats your iron play like Dean? And what model Burner driver do you have, ie: tour burner 9.5 degree loft? shaft flex?

Paul

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 10th Oct 2009 21:19

An old pro used to say " Give me a guy who misses the Golf Course on the right 4950 and I will make him a beter player quicker than the one that misses 2050 right, 2050 left and hits 10 half decent shots on the fairway".

In English, that means if you hit the same shot everytime (it doesn't matter what type) then you repeat your swing, so it is easier to correct than having several different swings.

TheLyth

user24437
Reply : Sun 11th Oct 2009 00:41

Dean, you're obviously still learning the game so stop beating yourself up first.  Stop worrying about distance with the driver, I regularly play with guys who are capable of hitting 280+ yds with me pootling along behind around the 210 mark - my attitude is, so what?  Even on long par 4's I can usually get to the green in 3 and stand a chance of a par or bogey, which is good enough for my handicap.  If you feel more comfortable using a fairway wood, rescue or even an iron off the tee then do it, just hit the fairway.  As for putting, that's just a matter of practice, practice and practice - buying a £200 putter isn't going to make your technique any better.  By all means go and get a new one which you feel is more comfortable but work on your routine and try to get that consistant and it will come - simple.

user99350
Reply : Sun 11th Oct 2009 10:37

Dean, all good advice above. And it looks like you've got the message that it's not the gear.

Lessons will be a waste of time if you go back to your old ways. I think the big thing is the committment. If you're an occasional player then don't waste your money on lessons (or maybe one just to get the basics of stance, grip, swing etc).  If however you want to embark then you've got to put the time in. Practice, practice,  practice ad nauseum, especially after a lesson.

PS make sure you understand why the pro is telling you what to do. If not, stop him and ask.

Reply : Sun 11th Oct 2009 11:25

The one thing I have noticed about people at my golf club is that when they have a lesson they walk off with the pro after it!

Myself, I allow for an extra ninety minutes after the lesson is due to finish.

I take my own practice balls so that when the lesson ends I can carry on with what I've just been shown. 

Dean, to help with you confidence when putting try and get some distance control, at least if you are stroking the ball right next to the hole you won't be three putting.

Remember with putting that it's a short backswing followed by a longer through swing.  To make short putts only take you putter head back to your back foot and do a positive forward swing.  Then for medium putts take the putter head back past your back foot, etc.  Once you can control the distance you are putting the ball then your confidence should rise.  Once you are happy with your distance control then you can worry about your putter.

Russ

Reply : Sun 11th Oct 2009 11:28

Quick PS to my above post.

The number of times I've played with people who do a long backswing with the putter, then realise that they have gone way to far back that they then slow down with the forward swing, only to stab the ball and it goes miles past the hole.  They then do the same thing with the next putt.

Watch the pros on tv and you'll see that they have a short, controlled backswing and a positive forward swing.

One exercise that I do is to have my putter head one inch behind the ball and then just push forward with my putter.  It's amazing how far you can get the ball to go without a backswing.

Russ

user69191
Reply : Sun 11th Oct 2009 19:10

Buying new gear is all well and good, but it has to be the right gear. You've got the right irons in the game improvement Callaway Big Berthas, the driver may not suit as its not too forgiving but you don't need to be hitting it too often anyway if its landing you in trouble, 3w or 5w off the tee will do. I'd concentrate on keeping the ball in play. If your insistent on becoming good with the driver then study some of the pro's swings in slow motion on youtube, under 'swingvision'. There's also more than enough people on youtube ready to give their help for free with such topics as grip, alignment, posture etc. Rikard Strongert being one of the best and easier to follow. Then its practice, practice and more practice, it all depends how committed you are to improving

As for the putter, its the most important club in the bag and it is all down to personal taste, if it feels good and looks good, then with the right technique it'll be good. I don't know any golfers who putt well with putters they hate.

Good luck

Paul

user106712
Reply : Thu 5th Nov 2009 19:54

Who asked you spammer ?

p.s. the best thing I learnt was to hold all clubs quite far down the grip so that there are 2 inches of grip showing this helps with leverage when releasing. try it , it may suit you too.even try holding the putter quite far down the grip as it helps to keep the wrists rigid. also a shorter backswing and good follow thru might help.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top