Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

society question

Posted by: user262865 | Fri 25th Sep 2009 12:07 | Last Reply

i would assume quite a few of you are in golf societies so perhaps you could tell me how your socety handles this.

our society is very new (only about 5 months old) and in our first 5 outings the same guy has won them all and has been cut according to the correct handicapping procedure, however a few of the poor players are complaining that hes not getting to the level he should be at quick enough and hes going to keep winning (personally hes just been cut to 22 and i think going by his cards hes going to level out at between 18-20 so it wont be that long anyway).

anyway one of the guys who used to be in a society is suggesting that as well as your normal handicap cut after each good round you should be cut 2 strokes for winning an outing, 1 stroke for coming second and half a stroke for 3rd. obviously all the poorer golfers are thinking this is a good idea but i think its blatent cheating tbh and as they have handicaps of 28 it should be up to them to make an effort to improve and at least play to that handicap instead of trying to handicap the better players out of it by this strokes cutting idea that will lead to people being on false handicaps that they cannot match and everytime they do and manage to win they will get cut another 2 strokes on top of what they should be cut.

so i guess my question is does this hapen in other societies like this guy is saying?

the thing that gets me is that i am not a natural golfer like a couple of the guys in the society but ive worked damn hard (4-5 days a week both practise and playing rounds) to improve my game and close the gap on them with the view that our player of the year is starting from the next outing and im starting to be able to compete with those guys who are better than me and i think its extremely unfair that i can put in all that work and then when i win an outing which i feel im on the verge of ill get cut to a standard that will rule me out of winning the next one to allow some lazy ass golfers who dont want to try and improve to win a few outings by an easy route rather than them earning it.

sorry rant over. lol but how does this work in other societies? thanks in advance

Last edit : Fri 25th Sep 2009 12:10
re: society question
user50354
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2009 12:20

5 society wins on the bounce ???

We would get cut with a samari sword....

Who ever wins next time gets cut under the true hcap precedure and also for one game only has to play off 3/4 hcap.

If the same guy wins again its 1/2 hcap.

If he dont he goes back to proper hcap...

Possibly....

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2009 12:40

You don't say what score won.

Most Societies have a 2 shot drop for a WIN to try and stop this type of thing happening. If he won 5 on the bounce, he'd lose 10 shots. They also give 1 shot back to the last placed players, NR's not included.

I can't help more without more information, thats Hcps, SSS etc.

TheLyth

Last edit : Fri 25th Sep 2009 12:45
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2009 13:08

David,

Using the CONGU system (Golfshake is also based on it) 42pts off 24hcp = a "Pull" of about 2.4 and a new Hcp of 21.6 (22). If any individual hole in that score was 0 points then he could have another 0.4 "Pull".

The 2 shot for a win stays in place, that is why a +1 is put in place for last place.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2009 13:33

What we have to remember is that a handicap is supposed to get us all across the line together and Scocieties have the best chance of all in producing their own handicap system to achieve this aim. They do not have to be bound by CONGU or anyone else. It is a private meet between fellow players and is meant to be enjoyed.

I quite like Dom's idea.

user50354
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2009 13:36

A society I know has:

1) two points deduction for a win

2) 2 points deduction for 36 points or more (winner could get knocked by 4 shots)

3) 2 shots back for 20 points or less...

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2009 13:45

There have been some good suggestions about this subject.

I would say that his handicap should be dropped according to the CONGU system, then reduce it by one full shot due to him winning the event.

It could be that your committee (if you have one) could look at his cards and reduce his handicap further under the 'General Play' rule.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2009 13:50

Why don't we face the fact that the CONGU system just does not work. Decimalisation has ruined a system that used to work more effectively than the current one.

user83555
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2009 21:47

Our society only drops the winner because it's only the winner gets the 'money pot'

we also work on a % of handicap drop (which lasts 5 games i.e. no shots back and one then gets 0.9 shots back per losing game thereafter until his "congu" handicap is reached) but additionally the more you win ( in cash) the more you drop on top and we have a grid system relating to handicaps and numbers of players playing to refer to whenever somone wins to determine the 'penalty' the winner has to carry against his normal handicap

I'm our Society handicap Sec. and for some reason they never send me Xmas cards !!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top