Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Tungsten...magnetic or not? fake or not?

Posted by: user259181 | Thu 24th Sep 2009 08:35 | Last Reply

I was looking on e-bay at stuff.... and I cam across a MacGregor NVG2 10* driver near the end of the auction....I got it for £9.

Now I have got it home and it is in top notch condition for a used club, only a couple tiny marks on the face. It has 4 tungsten weights in the head, now is tungsten magnetic? My magnet is sticking to them and I was just wondering if this is supposed to happen - basically I'm trying to judge if the club is a fake or not.

cheers

re: Tungsten...magnetic or not? fake or not?
user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 09:38

Lewis, I have just run a test on my Taylor Made R7 425 which has four tungsten weights with my very powerful magnet and the weights are magnetic, even though the driver itself is not.

user24437
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 10:19

Technical bit.  The weights are made of tungsten carbide, not pure tungsten which is pretty unstable (along with the other -ium metals).  Tungsten itself is non-magnetic, however the weights are made by sintering (a powder of the metal is dry pressed into shape and heat treated to become a solid) which will usually involve mixing it with a binder, most likely iron.  This allows it to be machined post-manufacture (tungsten carbide is incredibly hard) and does mean that the weight may be magnetic.  How magnetic the weights are is proportional to the amount of ferrous material included, which also means that is cheaper.  Also, the driver head is usually made a titanium alloy, which is also non-magnetic but the retaining screws for the weights are usually made from steel, so that could be what the magnet is picking up. 

user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 10:37

We have now had the engineers report, Lewis. Thanks Tim. Would I be able to hit the club better if these weights were non magnetic?

user24437
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 12:00

No John, the magnets won't noticeably effect the ball striking ability.  Obviously on a very small scale it will because of the small interactions of the various magnetic forces inherent on the earth, but I wouldn't start blaming it when you slice one.

Incidentally, the only reason they use tungsten is because it's relatively heavy for it's size and reasonably cheap.  Obviously the smaller and heavier you can make the weights the better because of the way it effects the relative C of G's of the club head.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to get anyone to have a go at machining the bar of depleted uranium I've got in my garage which would be ideal.    

user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 12:37

Get machining, Tim, I need one of your new atomic drivers.

user24437
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 13:32

You'd be stroking them 300yds to keep up with the young 'uns with it John.  And you'd probably glow slightly in the dark....

Actually just replacing the weights would probably make the driver head overweight, as it's about 20% heavier than it's Tungsten equivalent.  It wouldn't have any effect on the relative C of G of the head but would have on effect of the 'C o R' and the polar moment of inertia.

Sorry if anyone is nodding off, bit bored at the moment just waiting for someone to turn up before I go to Tescos... 

user77012
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 17:22

It's also a very,very good driver under rated in this country but not by me I've played one. It was the best selling driver in Japan for the mid to high hanicaper out seller all other brands,you've had a bargain enjoy. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top