Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

That tingling feeling

Posted by: user259181 | Tue 22nd Sep 2009 17:10 | Last Reply

Peeps,

I'm in the early part of my golf hobby....I've had a couple of lessons so far and spent 2 hours at least a day at the range and practice facilitys at my local club, I seem to be able to hit my irons quite well (for a beginner). On my good swings I get:

60-70 yards from SW

90-100 from PW

100-115 from 9

115-130 from 8

130-140 from 7

But one thing I'm getting is abit of mild tingling/stinging when using my irons with a full swing. Now i have a cheap but new set of Wilson Prostaff irons -£170 for 4-SW and driver and 3 wood....and bag !!! would this be because of the quality of this set?As I'm guessing that for the price of the set they are not going to have great engineering qualities.

I'm starting to get mild wrist and finger pain. I want to practice as much as possible to get my swing sorted...but I don't want to injure my hands.

I can get a new set of nike VR forged TW blades for £420....or should I just stick with what I have for now?

In the future when I do replace my beginner set, I'll want to get a set that will last a good few years (and hopefully progression) - is there any real reason why I shouldn't get  blades? I feel like I want to get some blades and work harder to be able to use them properly. Am I being naive?

re: That tingling feeling
user24437
Reply : Tue 22nd Sep 2009 17:39

Lewis - don't go changing your clubs just yet mate.  The tingling may be because you aren't gripping the club right or even not quite getting proper contact.  More likely is that your muscles are just about getting used to the stresses of playing golf!  You're probably just bedding in now and you will get all sorts of aches, pains and niggles from now on. You will become match fit the more you play, just wait until you're doing that and walking round a course, especially if you carry.  Don't let anyone try and persuade you that you don't need to be fit to play golf!

user77012
Reply : Tue 22nd Sep 2009 17:51

Lewis first thing to do is stop hitting balls everyday at the range those mats cause more golf injuries than you can imagine. The clubs tend to bounce into the ball if you are that tiny bit behind it as you can't take a divot. As for the Nikes you have me drooling but I wouldn't recommend them to you unless you are a competent ball striker. If your heart is set on them and you were to to go for them I would suggest  blade to a 7 iron and then the VR split cavities for the rest.How do the Wilsons play on the coures do you suffer the same pain in the hands and wrists?

Striking irons quite well ain't good enough for blades you need to be striking really good , have a word with your teacher.

user24437
Reply : Tue 22nd Sep 2009 18:44

Different muscles Lewis!

user77012
Reply : Tue 22nd Sep 2009 19:07

Without doubt the finest thing you can read ,some things in there may confuse you if you have an queries feel free to pm me.I'm alot further down the Hogan line.

It sounds like the shaft quality may be an issue in your starter set i would imagine that you probably have very good upper body strength and are quite powerfull, but the yardages you gave don't tally. I would like to see your swing you should try and post it on here we can help you more that way.good luck.

user24437
Reply : Tue 22nd Sep 2009 20:08

Must be your shafts if you're getting 40yds of slice Lewis.  I can get way more than that!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top