Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Mixed Match Play

Posted by: user47429 | Mon 21st Sep 2009 13:22 | Last Reply

My work organises an annual matchplay competition open to both ladies and gents with full handicap given. In the final I played a lady colleague at her home course. For two holes the par off the ladies tee is 4 and off the mens tee is 5. The stroke Index meant that at both of these holes I was required to give away a stroke. My female partner played a total of 6 strokes to get the ball in the hole and therefore scored a net 5. I also took 5 strokes. My net score for the hole was level to the par, whereas my partners was 1 over the par.

What should be the result for the hole - should it be a hole halved as we both scored 5 or should I have won the hole based on our scores relative to par. We played to the former - halving the hole based on score and not its relevance to par.

Last edit : Mon 21st Sep 2009 13:58
re: Mixed Match Play
user52922
Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 13:36

I assume you were playing matchplay, in which case each hole is treated as a separate entity. You halved the hole.

Last edit : Mon 21st Sep 2009 13:37
user52922
Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 13:58

In matchplay you give three quarters the difference in handicap between yourself and your lady opponent. You give her the strokes according to the mens SI and off your handicap it is impossible to give an opponent 2 shots on one hole.

The par of the hole is completely irrelevant in matchplay.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 14:07

John, can you clarify.  I'm being stupid and your reply is reading ambiguous to me.

Is it:

a, shots taken after handicap      

b, relative to par

user52922
Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 14:27

Darren, he is playing matchplay, so par is completely irrelevant. All that is needed to be done is to calculate who gives who shots and that is done by giving 3/4 of the difference between the two handicaps.

These shots are then taken at the ppropriate Stroke Index figures on the card.

You are 28 handicap I am 17, the difference is 11. 3/4 of 11 is 8, so I would give you a stroke on every hole that is SI 8 and below. Par does not come into a matchplay scenario.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 14:43

Thanks John, I hadn't hit submit when I had typed so my post is out of sync and before I had seen the 2 prior posts.

All clear now.

user52922
Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 14:59

I wouldn't like to give you 8 shots though, Darren.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 15:19

I'll have to check this out, but off the top of my head. You have to decide which "Card" you are going to play to, because the SI's may differ. Isn't it now FULL Hcp difference in Match-Play and at some courses a Mixed Match play from the same tees and the SSS is adjusted (replaced 'Courtesy Shots' for one of the players.

The lowest Nett score then wins each hole.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 15:37

You are talking  completely alien to me Lyth. If this is what happens now in your part of the world then I am glad I don't have to play to it. We still operate 3/4 difference in matchplay.

The only time I have ever had to give courtesy shots was at County level and then it was only 2 shots.

I have never played in a mixed match where the ladies played the same tees as the men.

Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 15:48

John,

It's CONGU who state that Full Difference is now used in all Match-Play Events. But seeing that it is Match-Play, the Club can play under there own conditions. CONGU also talk about adjustments when SSS's differ in a Mixed M-P Comp.

At Horsforth all SINGLES M-P are Full, Fourball BB M-P are still 34.

Its all confusing.

TheLyth

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 15:49

Cheers for the info, can't wait to hear the feedback when I start to finalise and announce the 2010 North vs South matchplay event including rules and handicaps!

user52922
Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 16:03

CONGU should be shot, they do not have a clue.

Reply : Mon 21st Sep 2009 18:20

Martin,

That is a great point, usually the Club will state before play which set of SI's to use. At Horsforth the 7th is SI 1 for the Men and SI 13 for the Ladies because its a hard 436yd par 4 for the Men against an easy 405yd par 5 for the Ladies.

It all comes down to one thing. If a Comp is put on for FUN then the organisers have the say in how it's played. The Rules should be posted before the first shot is hit.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top