Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

My first frustrations..............

Posted by: user259181 | Sun 13th Sep 2009 15:46 | Last Reply

As some may know I'm on the early steps of my golf hobby - One thing I've had from the start is a slice.......I know I know ....it's the most common fault going.

I seem to be able to hit all my irons nice and straight with good distance most of the time.

When I take out the 3 wood or driver I only seem to be able to hit a slice.....sometimes it's a small slice......sometimes BOOM ! It's a massive one. I also get roughly the same distance with either 3 wood or Driver.....I also hit my 5 iron only about 25 yards shorter than my 3 wood(sure, I lose plenty of yards with the slice though).

When I'm on the irons I feel that because I'm more over the top of the clubhead I have better control. After a session at the range, when I look at the base of the driver the mat rub lines indicate the my club face is open to the swing path. Now I'm quite sure that my club face is square to the target a point of impact - BUT it is coming from an outside to in path........

I'm just having real problems trying to drag the swing path in so that I can even get a 150yard straightish drive off the tee - I half consider just sticking with the 5 iron as I have some control over it

I'm sure I'll get past this

re: My first frustrations..............
user52922
Reply : Sun 13th Sep 2009 16:37

Lews, judging by what you say in respect of your iron shots, in that they go straight tells me that to do so the swing must be on the correct plane.

The fact that you then slice the woods suggests that, because they go further you are attempting to hit the ball harder and this usually causes the right shoulder to move forward and open early in the downswing with the resulting out to in swing path, which causes the slice.

Let the club do the work, that is what it is designed for.

Havng said that I am not really the one to talk about hitting woods, as I am probably worse than you in this department, although my problem is not the slice.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 13th Sep 2009 16:43

The longer the club, the longer it takes for the hands to rotate through and square the clubface.  It's not by a lot, but it can make a difference.  Make sure the ball is positioned just off the inside of your left heel (if right handed) when you tee up as you may not be giving your hands to get through if your swing plane is OK. 

user52922
Reply : Sun 13th Sep 2009 17:07

Chris, sound advice regarding the position off the left heel for the ball, but if his swing plane is OK then he is not slicing, he is pushing the ball straight right with a curl to the right, and this is completely different to a slice.

user52922
Reply : Sun 13th Sep 2009 17:47

I am sure it is Lewis, it is the most common fault amongst the higher handicap player.

So, how do you correct it? Very difficult with seeing you, as I know I would be able to correct it in less than ten minutes on the range.

user50657
Reply : Sun 13th Sep 2009 18:04

Lewis, I had the same problem as you and my local pro sorted it in my 1st lesson with him.

I had a very weak grip and he rotated my left hand so that I could see 3 knuckles, it felt really uncomfortable at first but wow what a difference it's made. The only time I ever get a hint of a slice now is when I try and swing too hard. It's like John says above let the club do the work but make sure your grip is correct.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 13th Sep 2009 19:31

"I love par 3's as I can leave the 3 wood and driver in the bag"

What's wrong with taking your 5 iron off the tee on a par 4 Lewis?  Think of it like this on a 370 yard par 4: -

• Driver or 3 wood, back onto the fairway, 7 iron approach shot, probaly a chip on, two putts.  Total of 6 shots
  • 5 iron off the tee, 5 iron approach shot, probaly a wedge on, two putts.  Total of 5 shots

One of the biggest mistakes beginners make (and I have been guilty of it) is thinking they have to take a driver or wood off the tee unless it's a par 3.  The pros don't do it, and on some courses they may only take the driver out the bag once or twice. 

Use the clubs that, for you, will get the ball in the hole in the least number of shots, not the one that will get it closest to the hole with each shot. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top