Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

NORTH V SOUTH UPDATED EVENT TEAMS

Posted by: user10367 | Wed 9th Sep 2009 14:49 | Last Reply

I have now created the above for the players to register for their respected teams.

This event has already attracted over 70 on the old event so would like to see how the teams are split, can you please re-register for the team you wish to play for.

Make sure you are registering for one team only not both please.

Last edit : Tue 5th Jan 2010 11:31
re: NORTH V SOUTH UPDATED EVENT TEAMS
user52922
Reply : Wed 9th Sep 2009 17:58

It would be nice though., if the South Teams board could be accessed just like the North Team, via the Games and Events link. Only the North team has this access.

Why do we always have to suffer this bias towards the North, they already have two thirds of the country to choose from. Now they are making it difficult for southern members to even see the competition in the first place. Posting a link in one thread is not good enough.

user83900
Reply : Thu 10th Sep 2009 16:09

I'm in!!! (well assuming my "player request" gets accepted!)

Team me up with the boy Butler again and we'll turn our half point from this year into a WIN for the South! 

user50657
Reply : Sun 13th Sep 2009 11:22

I've registered for the Northern Boys, and this will be my 1st attempt at this.

Just out of interest what have been the previous results for this competition?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Sep 2009 10:56

Possible venue 2010 and beyond.  Appreciate this is subjective based on where you live but anyone have any thoughts on location ?  how does the following 4 locations fit with the geographic spread.  Any places to far for the North or South ?  welcome feedback so that I can look to confirm the 2010 venue by October

View GS NvS2010 in a larger map

Last edit : Mon 14th Sep 2009 10:57
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Sep 2009 11:45

I'm assuming the Grantham one is Belton Woods.  While I don't have a problem with the course, it's quite remote and will be a very long trip for those from the south west. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Sep 2009 14:19

Not neccessarily focused on venues merely road trunks ie M1/A1 M6 M5/M40 etc etc

My favourable choice is the one near Stoke but how does that impact those travelling from the NE and SE ?

user50657
Reply : Mon 14th Sep 2009 18:16

The venues seem fine to me, although the ones nearer to the M1 will be preferable as I'm coming from Tyneside.

user21308
Reply : Mon 14th Sep 2009 19:49

Just a thought? I know the North / South divide has been argued over incessantly, but the venue location could ultimately decide whether you play for the north or south depending if you have to travel up (South Team), or down (North Team) to the venue ... ...

As far as venue goes, western half of country preferred, but will stay over  night so not really bothered. Have to agree with early tee times though and two tee start so the whole thing doesn't drag on to the evening and rush hour traffic madness.

user41897
Reply : Mon 14th Sep 2009 21:11

Stoke is a bit of a trek for me but if I played, then I'd do the 2 day affair so would be okay I guess.

user77012
Reply : Mon 14th Sep 2009 21:22

I actually think that the Reditch area is ideally positioned for motorway access from both sides of the country (up &down)and i'm presuming you are thinking Abbey Grove Darren. This would make an excellent venue for a matchplay event especially if it comes down to the 18th, a risk or reward driveable (not for you I'm afraid JP) par 4. Great hotel /food /staff and price with added bonus of an elevated position over looking the 18th straight off the bar. I spent 3 days there back in April and loved it the course was in great nick.

Last edit : Wed 16th Sep 2009 15:27
user83900
Reply : Tue 15th Sep 2009 09:16

Just putting in my preference.  The one near Northampton would be my no.1 choice, not just because it's the nearest to me (although still over 2hours away).  Don't want to get into the "divide" argument but looks more central/M1 accessible than say the Stoke one.  Stoke does look a long way from a lot of the rest of the country.

Appreciate it's going to be impossible to satisfy everyone, one near the M1 would prob suit a lot of people as the road is easily picked up from most locations??

Will still do my upmost to make it where ever it's held but as mentioned in other peoples comments above it's prob trying to find a way of not making the return home journeys too horrendous for the majority?

Only played in this years comp for the first time and the only shame (understandably) was that many had to shoot off quickly after the match had finished, so if somehow the end time could be a bit earlier in the day then that may help?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 15th Sep 2009 11:02

Jim, key goal for 2010 is a 2 tee start.  Yes I appreciate some people will argue that it makes it 2 different events due to some starting on 1st and other on 10th but the 2 tee start will be an even spread ie 8 groups off the 1st and 8 groups off the 10th

The venue I have in mind near Stoke just so happens to have the 9th and 18th greens side by side near the clubhouse, hence inclusion.

Anyone know any double green courses sharing 9th and 18th, now that would be good

Reply : Tue 15th Sep 2009 11:38

Donnington Valley (5 minutes from Donnington Grove and 5 minutes from M4 junction 13) has a double green 9th and 18th, both right up against the patio for the clubhouse.  9th is a tricky little par 3 over water to a nasty green too.  Quite a tight track and would make a good matchplay as it rewards accuracy but there's some risk-reward on there too - 10th is a tight but driveable par 4 with out of bounds right and nasty stuff left. 

Might be a bit far south though and I don't know how much the hotel would cost when we would be playing but they offer two rounds, bed, breakfast and evening meal for £99 in the off-season. 

user77012
Reply : Tue 15th Sep 2009 11:39

The Abbey's 9th and 18th green  are about 60 yrds apart  Darren and can both be veiwed from the  balcony/bar  

Reply : Tue 15th Sep 2009 11:41

I heard good things about the Abbey Dave.  Have you played it and what did you think?

user77012
Reply : Tue 15th Sep 2009 12:18

I played and stayed there last April with 11 friends via Golfbreaks.com we all thouroghly enjoyed the course,the accomodation and the staff were all excellent . The course is flatish and well laid out ,there wasn't a hole i can say i disliked , don't get me wrong it's not likely to appear on the top 100 list but I feel it's ideal for our requirements and would be suprised if there were any dissapointments. Buggies not a problem,theres a driving range on site but late night drinkings a problem the bar staff just don't no when to go bed!!  

user24437
Reply : Tue 15th Sep 2009 14:14

The Abbey looks pretty good from what I can see, I'd go for that based on Davids recommendation

user77012
Reply : Tue 15th Sep 2009 14:57

Which part Tim, the late bar .

Heres a link.

http://www.theabbeyhotel.co.uk/

There are 3 par 3's  over water ,sorry Mr Perry 2 short and 1 long  all good holes.

user115085
Reply : Tue 15th Sep 2009 16:21

I know the Abbey well and my brother used to be a member ... going back a fair few years now but there was a North vs South event there from USG (any old usenet lurkers here I wonder??)

The Abbey has a range, putting green (although a little cramped) and good hotel facilities. Only takes an hour and a bit from Sheffield area. Some excellent holes - especially for matchplay.

Agree with Dave's comments - it's not amazing but sets up well and in a good location.

user99350
Reply : Wed 16th Sep 2009 15:00

I put my name down as interested but it threw me out. Can I say I've been thrown out of much better places in my time.

user77012
Reply : Thu 17th Sep 2009 07:29

Yeh don't let any of the good players slip by, my gawd you need them.

user79118
Reply : Thu 17th Sep 2009 07:40

Dave,

One of the North's rising star players is in your group on Saturday. You'll get an idea then of the quality the North has to offer. ps Bring some ear defenders.

user99350
Reply : Thu 17th Sep 2009 08:44

Wayne, ok point taken. Will register.

user77012
Reply : Thu 17th Sep 2009 09:08

Chris,could be worse I could have Santo in my group !! You will have headache before you get there    I will be fine I'm learning "state managment"

Last edit : Thu 17th Sep 2009 09:09
user44195
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2009 19:49

How come the map shows loads of Northern locations but no Southern locations, don't the Northern lads have either Sat Nav or a compas???

Everyone knows that anything above Watford Gap is North

user11501
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2009 21:12

just had my first look at the Abbey. From the photos it looks absolutely perfect. Gets my vote and I haven't even played it yet.

If someone is arranging agame there in the near future then please count me in.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top