Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Should I extend my shafts?

Posted by: user91421 | Wed 2nd Sep 2009 16:41 | Last Reply

Hi, I am 16 years old and endured a huge growth spurt in the last year or so. i am now 6ft 2inches and have noticed my standard clubs may not fit me anymore. I have Mizuno Mx-19 irons which i am happy with and reluctant to get rid of. Ive been told by a few mates that i should custom fit my clubs by adding an 1/2inch or so to the shafts, but is it worth it and will it make a big difference? im not sure what to do. can anyone help me with some advice?  thanks. jord.  

re: Should I extend my shafts?
user99350
Reply : Thu 3rd Sep 2009 08:34

Hi Jordan, if you've had a growth spurt and as a result you're crouching then yes I think you need to.

user77012
Reply : Thu 3rd Sep 2009 10:34

Hi Jordan, the lenght of your club is not determined on your height but on how long your arms are.

Heres a guide to help you  then length of you 5 iron should be:-wrist to floor 32-34" 5 iron should be 37.5", 34-36" 5 iron should be 38" and 36-37"  5 iron should be 38.25"

If you do require alterations I would seek out a certified club builder as adding 1/2" in length will add 3pts to the swing weight which will make your clubs feel totally different.

Dave

Post reply Edit Reply Delete Reply    

Last edit : Fri 4th Sep 2009 12:37
user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 3rd Sep 2009 18:11

Hi Jordan, with a starting handicap that you have I would not worry too much about your clubs yet. Make sure you get a bit of consistency and then perhaps look at whether you could change your clubs. If you do go for it, do as Dave Ley says - he knows what hes talkin about!

(the three measurements are because different people have different sized arms!)

Just my 2 pennies worth!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 4th Sep 2009 12:33

Dave,

When did they start using WRIST measurements for shaft length? It makes sense with the different hand sizes out there. I always use Finger tip height of about 29.5" for Standard Length.

For those who don't know how to get this measurement. Stand upright with your arms hanging down by your side. The distance between your Finger Tips and the ground will be about 29"-30". If it is then standard length is OK.

Also Daves post came out strange so his figures should be seen as

WRIST TO FLOOR for a 5iron

If measurement is 32-34" the shaft should be 37.5"

If measurement is 34-36" the shaft should be 38"

and If measurement is 36-37" the shaft should be 38.25"

Hope this clears it up.

TheLyth

Last edit : Fri 4th Sep 2009 12:36
user77012
Reply : Mon 7th Sep 2009 00:24

John H , there is a complete list of wrist to floor measurements I just listed what i believe Jord may fall between. You should read it as if your wrist to floor measurement  is between 32+" and up to 34" 5 iron should be 37.5", and the  34"+ etc.

Lyth ,wrist to floor always to my Knowledge but I am relatively new to club building you can also use tip of figers to wrist for grip size .

Bob  , what SW have you managed to achieve with your clubs ?

Last edit : Mon 7th Sep 2009 18:48

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top