Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Wind trouble

Posted by: user128129 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 30th Aug 2009 21:55 | Last Reply

Played in the strongest wind yet for me on Friday afternoon. The course was open and on a hill which didn't help.

Although I shot 98 on a par 72 which included 2 wind assisted birdie par 5s and a par on a 4, I really struggled with shot and club selection. I had no real idea how far each shot would travel. Wind behind and I over shot many greens as the ball went low and long. Wind against and the ball either ballooned up, spun to the side or just died midair! Tried low punch shots into the wind but they tended to push high to the right or pull along the ground to the left! The only time I had confidence in my shots were in cross winds, just a matter of aiming further left or right!

It was also amazing how tiring it was being constantly buffeted. By the start of the back nine I felt as if I had played 18 holes alreay!

Don't think I am anywhere near ready to tackle a Links course yet

re: Wind trouble
user41897
Reply : Sun 30th Aug 2009 22:05

Dunton Hills is pretty open with nothing to break the wind and Friday was particularly windy - I was down at Mannings Heath.

Just think what you might have scored had the wind not been hindering you.

Adustments in club selection / technique for playing in windy conditions can only really come from experiencing it and seeing what works.  Keeping the ball low is an obvious one and playing into a headwind will be punished if you ball is not straight.

Best maybe to think of it like adjustments for playing up or down hill - eg 1 or 2 extra / less clubs. 

re: Wind trouble
user99350
Reply : Mon 31st Aug 2009 10:37

There's a saying, swing with eaze into the breeze. It has been windy last few days and the only way I can play into the wind is to club down and take up to three clubs less with a half shot. I find it tgives more consistent results.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top