Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Help choosing New irons

Posted by: user259445 | Wed 26th Aug 2009 14:04 | Last Reply

Hi guys,

I am going to buy some new irons next month but I would like some advice on which irons to buy?

I am looking for something in between a blade and a cavity back as I want to gain more control but still have that margin for error that a cavity back offers

I understand that the margin for error is going to be far less than my exsisting Ping G2 Irons, but does any body have any suggestions or advice?

Cheers Gregg

re: Help choosing New irons
user115085
Reply : Wed 26th Aug 2009 14:28

Try as many different sets as you can - but don't limit yourself to hitting 6 or 7 irons. If you are moving away from full cavities then it's going to be the long and short irons rather than the mid where you will notice the most difference when it comes to feel and control.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 26th Aug 2009 17:31

Try as many as you can and see what you do and don't like.  Get fitted.  Forged are much better than cast (in my opinion). 

Based on what you are after, I would suggest Mizuno MP-52 (dual muscle), Mizuno MP-57 (cut muscle) or Nike Victory Red Split Cavity, but it will be down to personal choice

user99350
Reply : Thu 27th Aug 2009 13:32

Can't really add to that except that be aware of the shaft you need. I tried the Nike VR's and though a lovely looking club, the shaft (on the club I used) was far too stiff for me. If you liked your old vlubs then consider a similar shaft. 

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 27th Aug 2009 18:00

Could you not change the shaft options on the Nike VR then Patrick?

user99350
Reply : Fri 28th Aug 2009 09:16

The diffence between the VR's and ny current tm's was so great that I lost interest. I'm still on the look out for blades tho...there's set on EBAY Titleist 695 MB which look good for £210 but I'm not sure of the shaft (I've already paid £250 for new shafts a couple of years ago) and of course you don't know what they feel like 'til you've got them in your hand.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top