New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

how to get more spin

Posted by: user119312 | Tue 25th Aug 2009 20:25 | Last Reply

i was just wondering how it can get more spin coming into the greens because

at the minute  i am having to land the ball on the front to let it roll on

re: how to get more spin
user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 25th Aug 2009 22:47

I dont know about spin but Im happy with well watered greens that are receptive. That way I can at least start aiming for the greens rather than before them.

Sherfield Oaks' greens are quite hard and I find I have to play before them. Pine Ridge was medium but today at Blue Mountain the greens were lovely and stopped the ball within a few feet after landing (with my gap wedge).

Reply : Wed 26th Aug 2009 07:19

David, it can be anytime (with a little notice) Mon - Thu now. Personal life is more stable and I have a pretty flexible job.

I would say though that as a 28 handicapper the last thing you need to worry about is trying to get spin in the ball - I would concentrate on consistency and accuracy!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 26th Aug 2009 22:15

David, good link.

Grove sharpner recently featured on golfshake.com for only £19.95 inc p&p plus includes free soft shot ball worth £3.50 - ebay not always the cheapest

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1207/CozmoSports_Soft_shot_ball_Groove_Cleaner_STX_Putter.html

Direct link to Coszmo Sports - http://www.cozmosports.co.uk/golfgroovesharpener.html

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 26th Aug 2009 22:23

Don't know if I should delete that post as spam Darren...

Reply : Wed 26th Aug 2009 23:32

Chris

user99350
Reply : Thu 27th Aug 2009 13:28

That groove sharpener? use one of those pins that you find on letter boards and save 2000%

I'd agree with Dennis here, if you're off 28 then you've got a long way to go before you need to consider this. Practice with a higher lofted club and you wont get as much run. I find the harder I hit a ball the more spin imparted but it's always a risky shot. Learn how to bump and run, as a high handicapper you'll see the difference fairly quickly.    

Reply : Thu 27th Aug 2009 18:02

and the best way to get your scores down and lower your hc from 28 is to get a good short game. Just think the amount of drives verses the amount of iron shots!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 11:31

Steve this is a very interesting thought and something I've discussed on several occasions with another member on the site, hey Tim

I see nothing wrong in this  'Simply Back Off And Allow An Extra Shot On Each' and something I will shortly do more to try and drop my handicap.

But, using this philosophy, will your handicap ever drop below 18 ie the bogey golfer ? would be interested in others thoughts on this.  Does it matter or are you holding back your true potentially and limiting your handicap ?

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 5th Jan 2010 00:51

Thats a good one Steve,

I used to play games One-handed (R/H). I couldn't hit anything longer than a 5iron, but was still able to break 80 at times.

Over the years I have also played with only an 8iron. It was interesting how easy it was to plot my way around the course. Some of the guys on here should try it.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top