Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicap calculation?

Posted by: user241472 | Mon 24th Aug 2009 15:35 | Last Reply

Hi,

First post here so please be gentle!

I've entered 6 score cards from a 9 hole 3 par course on the golfinghandicaps (found it before Golfshake but seems to use the same set up) and I've yet to receive a handicap.

The score cards were already listed (Edgware and Stanmore Golf Centre) and are listed on the Golfshame demo account.

Do I need to play 18 hole courses to get a handicap or should this place suffice ?

re: Handicap calculation?
user52922
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 16:12

A handicap based on 9 holes will be a false one, so I suggest you make an effort to play the game as it was intended. i.e. 18 holes.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 16:21

The system only uses 18 hole rounds for the handicap calculation.

Regards, Darren.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 16:23

Also for Hcp purpose a course has to be above a certain length (3000yds?). Is Edgware & Stanmore GC on our Database?

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 17:14

It appears that my response has been removed, I would like to know why, as it was not contentious in any way, just stated the facts about golf and its handicap system.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 17:32

Amal,

It's showing as -1 because this is the system default.  Either that or you had some very good rounds!  It is not possible to get a handicap for a 9 hole round, but if you want to get an idea, do the following: -

• Take your two best cards and add them together
  • Take 54 off the score (3 shots for each hole)
  • The remaining number is an idea of your handicap

Obviously this will give you only an idea and is likely to be better than your real handicap. 

John - In case you're wondering, it wasn't me and I didn't see it so I can't comment on the content (I sound like Arsene Wenger!)

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 18:58

Do tell David - in fairness, comments should not be deleted unless absolutely necessary and even then I think it is only right that the mod in question puts up a statement / sends a PM with their reasons.

To delete posts without explanation is not very good and to be honest if that is going to start happening I would think that this forum will soon lose a lot of loyal contributors!

user52922
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 19:07

My two line post was entirely factual and nowhere did it contain anything that could be construed as inflammatory.

The owner of this site removed the post for reasons only he knows.

As I only use the forums on this site and not the scoretracking software I am paying premium membership for my freedom of speech to be curtailed for no reason at all. I am disgusted by it.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 19:34

John, it wasn't particularly helpful nor encouraging to a new member to the site.

user52922
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 19:51

Of course it was helpful, a fact is always helpful. What do you want  me to say, that yes 9 holes on a par three course is allowed for handicaps.

I told a new member how the handicap system works. i.e 18 holes. I could have mentioned, a proper course also, but declined. My post was not contentious at all and I am surprised it was removed.

I realise it is your site and you can do what you like but deleting that post was unreasonable in my opinion.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 19:57

I am only acting in accordance with the forum AUP and keeping this post on track rather than start another thread on the indepth whys and hows of the handicap system, which we have discussed to death.

Appreciate your opinions on this matter, Amal was asking a specific question though.

user52922
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 20:18

Do I need to play 18 hole courses to get a handicap or should this place suffice ?

This is the part of Amals post that I responded to and my answer was in no way rude, contentious or incorrect. In no way could it have been construed as an in depth appraisal of the ins and outs of the handicap system.

You were too hasty in your action, especially as a forum is a place for an exchange of views and it was my duty to inform, not only a new member(Who started with a demo account) that 9 holes on a par 3 is nt allowed for handicap purposes. so this sites software was of no use to him unless he played 18 holes and I suggested he did this.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 20:25

Post now back and reinstated and copy included below

A handicap based on 9 holes will be a false one, so I suggest you make an effort to play the game as it was intended. i.e. 18 holes.

user52922
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 20:39

Thank you, Darren, much appreciated.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 25th Aug 2009 10:24

Amal,

To go back to your origional question, I finally found the Scorecard for Stanmore & Edgware Golf Centre. It took me longer because I was searching for Edgeware & Stanmore.

For our Hcp system to be able to work out a Hcp the scores need to be over 18holes, thats also playing a 9hole course twice. Also the course you play must be over 3000yds for 18holes. S&E is only 2194yds, so well short. To get a Hcp you do need to play some longer courses but they can be 9hole, just play round twice.

Your Hcp is worked out on SSS and you will find that S&E will be about a SSS 50, so you can work a Hcp out for your self but it can't be recognised by Hcp systems.

Hope this helps.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top