Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

practice, practice, practice

Posted by: user84935 | Fri 21st Aug 2009 09:50 | Last Reply

After a recent decline in my game due to that lack of playing time I have taken the plunge and took up membership at a local course. One of the reasons I chose this course was because of the practice facilities whihch include;

- Large putting and chipping green

- Short game practice area, upto 125 yards

- Practice bunkers

- Grass driving range

Practice is something that I have never done other than a few random trips to the driving range. I am now hoping to pop down 2 or 3 times a week to get my game back in shape. I am keen to focus on my short game but what routines, games or challenges should i set myself to maximise the practise time and to keep it fun and interesting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Last edit : Fri 21st Aug 2009 10:08
re: practice, practice, practice
user99350
Reply : Fri 21st Aug 2009 19:22

Hi Oli, glad to see you're serious about your game. The practice routines are endless and can be what you want to make them. First things first: don't practice what you don't need to, dedicate your time to your weaker shots until they become better and then you'll have a new weaker shot...it's endless. Also when doing chips, short pitches or bump and runs be aware that you're not on course greens so unless you have a dedicated well manicured green youve got to allow for this, the key is to land the ball wher you intended it. A normal session for me will be 3 hrs 20 balls each exercise: I'll start with half shots with 60* wedge move up to normal swing, move down the clubs (1/2 shots and full shots with my 9 iron...old habits die hard and stop at the 7 iron.

I'll then do chips over bunkers with various clubs, various distances and lately shots just off the green in the swcond cut. And more or less tinker about from 100 yds in.

I'll do 50 balls driving, hitting them back to my bag with varios low irons. Trouble is I never leave enough time for putting which I'm trying to do more of.

Also don't practice in the wind unless you aim to do that ie using 1/2 7 iron instead of a 9 etc.

Keep me posted if your enthusiasm wains.

re: practice, practice, practice
user99350
Reply : Sat 22nd Aug 2009 10:35

Paul, I reckon that's the best way to look at it....no point resting on your laurels. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top