Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

change of grip

Posted by: user119312 | Thu 20th Aug 2009 11:07 | Last Reply

i had a privite lesson at forest pine yesterday and they changed my grip they said it was very strong

and as i got stonger it would mean me pulling the ball a lot

so i am using this new grip and getting a cut-fade

on the backswing the face feels really open

but when it comes down to when the ball should be it is square

my ball stricking seems to have got more consistant though

my question is should i keep the new grip and deal with the fade until i get stronger or should i go back to what i'am used to?

re: change of grip
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 20th Aug 2009 11:12

You will always go backwards before forwards after a lesson Alex (well, usually).  The chances are that you had a strong grip to counteract the out-to-in swing path that is now causing your cut/fade.  Stick with the grip and get help with sorting out the cut-fade.  Using a fault to fix a fault is a dangerous game, much better to fix the root cause flaw. 

user52922
Reply : Thu 20th Aug 2009 11:25

Hit the nail on the head there, Chris, but this is what one seems to get when one goes to professionals for lesons, these days, a fault to correct a fault.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 20th Aug 2009 11:40

I think you misread John.  He had a strong grip to adjust for his flaw and the pro has removed this fault, exposing another one.  I do agree that one needs to be careful in their selection of pro though.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 20th Aug 2009 11:48

Alex,

You need to build a swing from the basic up. If the GRIP is not correct, you can't get into other importent positions within the swing. It will all come together so be patient. If you start to learn this game from basics it is easier than playing it for years before trying to change 'your way'.

TheLyth

user99350
Reply : Thu 20th Aug 2009 13:20

Too true Lyth. I have a v strong grip, and like wisdom teeth, problem flare up from time to time. I've tried to change it but I always go back to it over time.

user52922
Reply : Thu 20th Aug 2009 14:59

Chris, I don't think I have misread what Alex said. He said he had a strong grip and the pro wanted to change it, and did, this caused him, according to himself to fade the ball when in actual fact a fade is caause by an out to in swing path, as we all know. With his strong grip of course he was prone to pulling the ball left as he still had an out to in swing and it this that needs to be corrected. Cast your mind back to Ombersley when you were on the range with your driver and remember what I said to you. You had the same fault yourself, then.

The basics are very simple, but players are loathe to change something that will improve their game as they do not wish to go through the pain.

Some players are unable to absorb instruction, some know it all already and are not interested in changing, as they know what their problems are and think they have the solution, unfortunately their handicap tells a different story.

It is amazing when one reads instruction on this game that it is flowered up so much that the initial point is lost in the translation. This is done of course to market the video or book.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 20th Aug 2009 15:27

Alex,

Here is the science, so you can make sense of things.

You have learned to hit the ball with your hands in a certain position at IMPACT. The change of grip will mean that for a while your hands will return to their old Impact position, so the Clubhead will be 'opened up' so the cut-fade you describe will occur.

Over the next few weeks your hand position will change at IMPACT and your shots should straighten out. As John says, it is very difficult to transmit what is meant in written words, but hope this helps.

TheLyth

user215495
Reply : Thu 20th Aug 2009 21:30

Hi Alex , have to agree with the LYTH , it will be an average 6 weeks before you'll get comfortable ,but bide you time it will be better for you , just like shaking hands  with the golf club, the need to be in that sort of position , so good luck with your game and happy golfing ,

G

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top