Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf GPS for iPhone

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 12th Aug 2009 13:47 | Last Reply

Just upgraded my phone and now have an iPhone.  Great gadget it is!  I know that you can download a golf GPS app for it (there are quite a few available).  Has anyone tried any of these and if so how do they compare to a 'proper' GPS?  Anyone tried more than one and can recommend the best one to try?

re: Golf GPS for iPhone
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 12th Aug 2009 14:33

Thanks Jonny.  For £17 it's worth a shot (a lot cheaper than a sureshot anyway!).  Just need to make sure it's got the courses I want

user16163
Reply : Wed 12th Aug 2009 15:06

Chris

You could try freecaddie

it only gives distances to front, center and back of greens but is very accurate

i have it on a pda that i have and i would say it has helped my scores come down

if a course is not in the database then youcan create a course file with ease

best of all it is completely FREE

user25808
Reply : Wed 12th Aug 2009 21:13

I'd recommend freecaddie as well.

I have the free version loaded onto a  O2 XDA Zest,which I also got free .Works just like other golf gps I have seen.

There is a pro version available at a cost of $24 which gives you distances to hazzards etc,if the course is mapped sufficently .

I used it for the 1st time last week at my home course and it was very interesting to compare the yardages on the freecaddie compared to course markers,not always the same but not much difference.

I'm very happy with it at the moment and it cost nothing!

user38216
Reply : Wed 12th Aug 2009 21:17

Chris,

Got to agree, free caddie as the name suggests, does exactly what it says on the tin. Accurate too, I compared mine with John Floods Sky caddie round our loca track and it was pretty accurate considering the course had been plotted manually.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 12th Aug 2009 21:28

No reason why devices should be any different to phones/PDAs in terms of accuracy

the issues are:

1, Software development - but arguably will be updated more than hardware device

2, Public mapping of data - although some allow you to map on course which increase accuracy

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 13th Aug 2009 10:00

Well I've downloaded the Freecaddie app (only took about 10 seconds) and loaded up the course I'm planning to play tonight, Donnington Valley.  To be fair, there's loads of courses on there and all the ones I play regularly (or even occaisionally) are available.  I'll check the measurements against the counter on my S3 on a couple of holes tonight to see how they compare.  I'll let you know how I get on. 

I've also downloaded the PGA National and will try it this weekend on a course I know well. 

user26342
Reply : Thu 13th Aug 2009 17:03

Chris,

See how long your battery lasts by having it on the whole round & checking yardages etc. The last thing you want is it to die on you half way round. You may also have to take into account if you plan to make any calls during your round as this may also zap the battery life.

John.

user38216
Reply : Thu 13th Aug 2009 17:17

LOL - JF. (previous posts noted). A fully charged Iphone will do 18 holes easily as you can set it to standby until you need it, which is normally when checking second shot.

user50657
Reply : Fri 14th Aug 2009 00:48

Anyone know if these work on a Nokia N97 phone?

I've downloaded and installed the freecaddie but  haven't had a chance to try it yet, but the other program mentioned seem much better.

user26342
Reply : Fri 14th Aug 2009 08:24

Graham,

I think I tried it for the N95 & it wasn't a compatible phone at the time.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top