Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Trouble Using 3 Iron

Posted by: user252365 | Fri 7th Aug 2009 13:01 | Last Reply

Hi there,

I've recently starting to play golf again and I'm having trouble using my 3 iron. Up to the 5 iron I feel comfortable but then my next club is the 3 and I seem to be striking down on the ball. So I moved the ball further forward in my stance as I thought this could be the problem but then I slice it. Is there any difference in your technique when moving to this high an iron?

Thank you,

Rob 

re: Trouble Using 3 Iron
user99350
Reply : Fri 7th Aug 2009 13:37

Rob, I think moving it forward in your stance is a mistake and would suggest that's the reason for your slice.

The longer irons are harder to use as they have longer shafts. What I did was practice my 5 iron 'til it became as easy as my 6 iron, then do you 4 iron 'til it's as easy as the 5 and then the 3. I'm currently practicing a few 1 irons off the deck when I'm at a loose end. Remember that you don't need to welly it. Go for the strike.

Last edit : Sat 8th Aug 2009 09:07
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 7th Aug 2009 14:11

I have the ball about three inches inside my front heel and I try to 'Sweep' the ball off the turf.

Good balance and a smooth swing will also help.

Russ

user106712
Reply : Fri 7th Aug 2009 20:20

My longest iron is the 5 then a 21# hybrid then a 5 wood...I hit the hybrid and 5 wood so well I dont see any need for a 4 or 3 iron. Whatever works is good..

user52922
Reply : Fri 7th Aug 2009 20:34

I am in the iron camp, but do have a Ping G5 hybrid at 19deg. It most certainly does not go as far as my 3 iron , even moreso into a strong wind.

I have a 1 iron as well but do not always carry it.

user38216
Reply : Fri 7th Aug 2009 21:03

I have a 2H 17 Deg Hybrid for emergency use only, if im on the good stuff it will not be required.

Theres nothing sweeter than cracking a 3I 220+, the hybrid feels like cheating a bit!

user26342
Reply : Fri 7th Aug 2009 22:14

I don't carry a 3 iron & have only ever hit one once & didn't feel comfortable at all.

user52922
Reply : Fri 7th Aug 2009 23:00

One cannot expect to feel comfortable with a club if used only once. It takes time. I realise that the game has changed, but anyone  who can strike the long irons will be an infinitely better player for having that ability. I would go as far as to suggest, John, that with that ability, single figures would be a matter of course.

user77012
Reply : Fri 7th Aug 2009 23:59

The day i can't hit a 3 iron anymore will be a sad day as it would be my last game. The long iron is a dying breed i don't tink anyone makes a 1 iron anymore.

user52922
Reply : Sat 8th Aug 2009 09:35

Right, Dave, and until they are standing on a links into a very strong headwind knowing that the club they need for the shot is a sweetly struck 3 iron hit low, yet all they have is a hybrid or five wood, knowing that the ball is going to come back to them.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 8th Aug 2009 11:02

My 3 iron goes in my bag on windy days, usually replacing my 19* hybrid or 5 wood. Striking a 3 iron well does give you that inner sense of achievement knowing that you have played a good golf shot. 

user69191
Reply : Tue 18th Aug 2009 22:25

Practice practice practice, its not a game of how, but how many. Don't take the 3 iron onto the course just yet, take a hybrid club, 20 or 21 degree instead. Best to drop your shots on the range rather than on the course. At your handicap level Rob just try and keep the ball in play and hit it straight. Play within yourself and watch 28 fall to 21 etc etc.....The most important part of this game is within the last 100 yards so concentrate more on that. 90% of amateur golfers have trouble hitting a 3 iron, 5% do it effortlessly and the other 5% are liars!

Paul

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top