Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Balls

Posted by: user16742 | Sat 1st Aug 2009 09:33 | Last Reply

Been doing a trawl of the internet this morning and just going round in circles. as every ball gets excerlent reviews and adds 10 yards compaired to there old ball.
first i need someone to explane the physics to me. Compression whats that involve and effect?

Im in the market for a new ball that i can commit to instead of changing all the time. Im playing with srixon soft feel, bridgestone 330 s and the e6's. 
After a few lessons and practice i am now hitting straighte, due to a slower swing so im getting better contact.
With a driver  i swing at 100 mph  according to  the  computer,  i may be a little bit slower than this now im a bit  more controlled. With the straighter shot i have now im looking for a little bit more around the green. Distace for me is not really as inportant now as getting the ball to nip and perform around the green.

Like i say been reading conflicting reports about balls, and swing speeds some say it effects the ball you need to use others say it doesnt. Like the bridgestone 330 rx for swing speeds of 85 to 100 mph. Others say that the pro v1 needs a fast swing speed others say it doesnt. Is the pro v 1 actually better than everything else or is it just hype? would the 330 rx be better for me or again is the science flawed? so confuseled 

re: Balls
user118394
Reply : Sat 1st Aug 2009 10:08

matt if like me your more bothered about control on and around the greens try a softer ball my favorites are srixon soft feel and wilson soft.both excellent balls with good control with not much loss of distance.

but as with most things golf its usually personel preference.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 1st Aug 2009 12:24

Compression is the amount a ball will deform when the club strikes it.  In theory there is an optimum amount to compress the ball to get the best out of it.  As the swing speed increases, the ball is hit harder so it compresses more.  This means that if you have a quick swing speed you are better off with a higher compression ball and if you have a slow swing speed you are better with a lower compression ball (ladies golf balls are typically softer than mens).  Hope that explains that for you Matt. 

I'm with Neil.  If you're after touch and feel around the green, then you want a soft (low compression) ball.  If it helps, I'm really fussy about the ball I use as I can't stand hitting a ball that feels hard (which means Nike and Callaway are off the radar for me).  I've recently change to Wilson Staff Dx2 Sof tand though they are marketed as a distance ball they're only a 50 compression (really soft) so they feel nice around the green.  Wilson also do the Px3 which isn't quite as soft but generates more spin around the green.  Both are around £17 a dozen so not too expensive if you want to try them. 

If you are unsure, best thing I can suggest is that you have a root through the found ball bucket in the pro shop at your course and try a few different softer balls to see what you like. 

user41897
Reply : Sat 1st Aug 2009 12:37

I used to play with Srixon Soft Feel as I thought they were the best 'type' of ball for me and frankly I don't know how much they affect my game cos I've not really played with anything else.

Recently I have switched to the WS Dx2 Softs which I like too.  Now my pitching is improving I may now find the performance of the ball comes much more into the equation.  For the moment it is the Dx2 Soft that is my ball of choice..

user50657
Reply : Sat 1st Aug 2009 13:00

The Wilson DX2 get my vote time and time again, just love the feel of them without too much distance loss either.

user202373
Reply : Sat 1st Aug 2009 16:27

ya cant go wrong with pro v 1 m8,and most shops are doin the pro v1 practice balls for a good price there exactually the same ball but have practice wrote on the side of them they are fine to use in comps etc too ,best ball out there in my opinion anyways ),

user202373
Reply : Sun 2nd Aug 2009 15:47

nick me and my mate chris salter play with the local pro most weekends and he says its fine to use em ,if ya go on the web sites were there sold nick you will also see there thats its fine to use em ,maybe not in the european tour like ,but with ya local society its a  different matter ),i find the TaylorMade Burner TP cut up way to easily matt but may be fine for you .

Reply : Sun 2nd Aug 2009 17:56

You can use a ball marked 'practice' or 'X-OUT' in a comp only with the permission of the competition secretary.  Make sure you get permission to use them before you play Marc as if one of youre opponents notices and lodges a complaint you could be disqualified. 

As regards the Wilson balls, Dx2 is a two piece, Px3 is a three-piece (and spins more) and the Tx4 is a four piece.  I managed to stop a Dx2 dead on the green with a 5 iron from around 170 yards out in my last round (actually came back at me about 6 inches) so it is possible to get spin on these, even though they are marketed as a distance ball. 

user26342
Reply : Mon 3rd Aug 2009 11:36

Online golf are doing 2 dozen DX2 for £28.

Reply : Mon 3rd Aug 2009 12:33

American Golf are doing 2 dozen Dx2 for £27 John!

user26342
Reply : Mon 3rd Aug 2009 13:11

yes but you get loyalty points with Online golf which you can use for future purchases.

Reply : Mon 3rd Aug 2009 13:48

Only problem with buying online is they get delivered, and then the missus knows that I have bought "more f#@*ing golf balls"!  If I buy them from American Golf I can do it without her finding out!

The problem is, if I find one on the course I pick it up no matter how rubbish it is, even though I know I will never use it.  I don't know whether this is the tight arsed Yorkshireman in me or because I'm a secret pikey.  This means there are carrier bags and boxes of golf balls lying around that I will never use (plus the loose ones that the dog has claimed!).  Think I'll donate them to the brother-in-law as he's not fussy about what ball he loses. 

user26342
Reply : Mon 3rd Aug 2009 13:56

Chris,

get them delivered to your work place, works every time for me

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top