Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

ram qub3, hippo hex or hippo giant square driver

Posted by: user119312 | Mon 27th Jul 2009 17:47 | Last Reply

has anyone used these clubs and if so what do you think of them?

re: ram qub3, hippo hex or hippo giant square driver
user50843
Reply : Mon 27th Jul 2009 19:55

My boss has the Ram qub3, the legal one, I hit a few on the range with it,I think it's a great driver, good distance and good quality shaft too for the money.

user24437
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2009 00:43

I commented on the Hippo X when it first came out - it has got to be the ugliest piece of kit around.

user127691
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2009 12:19

Had a look at the hex when I brought my first driver not bad for the price but if you are looking for a good quality budget driver I don't think you can beat Benross or MD eventhough the MD drivers can be a bit more exspensive.

I had a benross V5 picked it up new for £55 on t'internet new when the new VeloCT came out. It had an Aldila NV shaft Golf Pride crossline grip these are usually the kind of components you find on high end clubs the shaft alone would cost more than all the components put into a hippo club It was a real quality club for the money. I have now replaced it with a Cobra but to be honest it is not that much better but I got that for £79.99 form clubhouse golf so that didn't cost to much either.

Best to try as many as possble out and get whatt suits you as drivers are a very personal thing.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2009 23:08

Look for the positives Alex.  It's a great excuse to go and buy some shiny new clubs!

Reply : Wed 29th Jul 2009 09:36

I tried the Burner when I was looking.  It was OK, but be warned that the shaft is almost 2 inches longer than most other clubs and this can be off-putting.  The Cleveland should come with ear defenders.  Callaway were doing an offer recently where if you bought the driver you got an Odessey white hot putter free, but I don't know if it's still on. 

I recommend going somewhere independent for a proper fitting session.  On my fitting session (for driver and fairways), it was a toss up between the Mizuno MX700 and Callaway Diablo, with the Mizzy just edging it.  For the fairways, the Diablo was a run away winner and are now being used to great effect. 

user127691
Reply : Wed 29th Jul 2009 11:18

I can hit the burner about 300 yards................SIDEWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great club for a consistant driver heart breaker for somone with the tendancy for a big slice like me.

Our pro shop has just started to stock the Cleveland kit they are doing some cracking offers at the minute wish I hadn't blow a fortune already this year on kit ortherwise I would definitly invested in some of the irons(buy now get a free replacemnt set in 2 years) and probably the driver and free fairway too.

user127691
Reply : Wed 29th Jul 2009 16:43

That's allways a problem I know the American golf outlets usually have launch monitors but it is not allways a direct replacement for the range but it can offer some info on how the club may preform. I didn't try my driver on a range before I brought it I did with others and when I compared the figures on the launch monitor to other models that I felt preformed well on the range not ideal but I think I've made a very good choice.

The only other option is a trip down to the Srixon/Cleveland custom fitting centre down in Maidenhead but that seems along way for you to go but if you are spending near £200 on a driver and fairway wood getting a real good job done on the fitting may be worth the travel.

Reply : Wed 29th Jul 2009 17:15

I would personally advise against a draw biased club Alex.  This will only compensate for a swing flaw, not correct it.  All that will happen is that you will start to slice all the other clubs too as you will have to swing the driver as if you were going to slice it to get the ball to go straight.  This swing plane will then creep into the rest of your game.  The same effect can be gained by closing the clubface slightly at address and regripping or by moving the ball a little further back in your stance. 

Oh, and the Hi-Bore sounds like a cannon going off when you strike the ball, really put me off.  Just warning you so that you know that you will scare all young children and old people in a two mile radius when you use it!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top