Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Sprinkler Heads

Posted by: user117101 | Fri 24th Jul 2009 14:30 | Last Reply

Hi golfers, one rule I am stuck on, I heard Sam Torrance mention something about it during The Open, if your ball is behind a sprinkler head directly in line with the pin, how near to the sprinkler head does the ball have to be to get relief, if at all, this has happened to me on several occasions and when playing with mates is not a problem but I can see the time coming when there might be something at stake and would not like to make wrong decision hope you can help.

Regards

re: Sprinkler Heads
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 15:20

Hi Graham,

A Sprinkler Head is a 'Man made Object' so an "Obstruction" for the Rules. Because it can't be moved, it comes under "Immovable" so is covered by Rule 24-2. Relief from an immovable obstruction is available when the Ball lies on it or it interfers with your stance or line of intended swing.

Hope this helps.

TheLyth

user117101
Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 16:08

Thanks for that, so what you are saying if the ball lies behind it, that won't affect your stance or swing, you can't use your putter but have to chip over.

Regards

Graham

Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 16:21

Afraid so, that is what happened to Paul McGinley at Turnberry.

TheLyth

user117101
Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 17:00

Thanks for that, that must have been the one i was watching and sam said something like if so and so had happened he could have got a drop of two club lengths, which might be if his foot was in or on the head.

Graham

user79118
Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 18:38

Played Wychwood Park today and on the back of the card there is the ruling regarding this situation.

'Fixed heads are immovable obstructions; relief from interference by them may be obtained under rule24-2. If such an obstruction on or within two club lengths of the putting green of the hole being played intervenes on line of play between ball and hole, relief may be obtained without penalty, as follows:

If the ball lies off the putting green but not in a hazard and is within two club-lengths of the intervening obstruction, it may be lifted, cleaned and dropped at the nearest point to where the ball originally lay which a) is not nearer the hole, b) avoids such intervention and c) is not in a hazard or on a putting green.'

Hope this clears things up. Good to read the back of the cards sometimes eh?

Last edit : Fri 24th Jul 2009 18:41
user26342
Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 20:25

Chris,

I thought that if it interfered within 2 clubs of your stance or swing you were allowed relief too??

user79118
Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 20:38

John,

I think you only get relief if your actual stance or swing is interfered with. I think the ruling for path's/buggy tracks is 1 club length. If your stance or swng is inside this then you can obtain relief but as regards sprinkler heads, I'm pretty sure you have to be in contact with the obstruction. Could be wrong as I'm no rules expert. Just happened to notice the ruling on the back of my card.

Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 22:22

This is one of the situations where a Local Rule can give you more relief from a place than the actual Rules do.

TheLyth

user117101
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2009 09:21

Good morning golfers, can of worms this, thanks for that Chris, that would seem fair, but as you say only a local rule, again worth reading back of card, I'm going to dig out all my cards and check if any have that on back, such a nerd.

Thanks for all your replies

Good golfing

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2009 09:33

Phil Eadsforth probably doesn't want to read this thread.  He hit a cracking 9 iron into the green on the 9th at Foxhills yesterday that was going straight at the pin.  He pitched perfectly a yard off the green, right on a sprinkler head.  The ball went high and handsome into the stratosphere and disappearred into the woods behind the green!

Last edit : Tue 28th Jul 2009 09:34
user926 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2009 10:39

i'm still cursing that bloody shot this morning! bloody sprinkler heads. ruined the next three or four holes of a beautiful course

user117101
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2009 11:32

Nice one, s**t happens, that's the beauty of the game.

Thanks fellas

Good golfing

user26342
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2009 17:06

Phil,

how quick your playing partner turns on you, especially as you carried him for 15 holes!!!

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2009 17:12

"cracking 9 iron into the green.....going straight at the pin"

I don't think that's turning on him at all, more saying how unlucky I thought he was.  You're nothing but a trouble causer Flood.  Go and find a lefties forum to bother. 

user26342
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2009 17:53

I stand corrected Perryranger

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top