Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

square or original head

Posted by: user119312 | Thu 23rd Jul 2009 18:57 | Last Reply

i was just wondering if people prefere th newer square head or the original rounded one?

and

what does a square head actully do to the flight of the ball?

re: square or original head
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 23rd Jul 2009 19:15

Can't stand the square heads, has to be traditional for me.  Can't stand the look of them at address.  However, If you want the ball to go straight every time and have no intention of putting any shape to the ball, square is the way to go. 

Last edit : Thu 23rd Jul 2009 19:16
user52922
Reply : Thu 23rd Jul 2009 19:36

A square head for me then, if they go straight all the time.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 23rd Jul 2009 20:23

Personally, I don't mind either.

As long as I can get a good shot out of it then the shape doesn't matter.

Russ

user99350
Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 08:42

I used to swear by my old Wilson 1200 driver but I've been using a square head since Xmas and cannot say enough about them, a much more consistent drive with results to match.

user38216
Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 09:16

Got to be the best gimmick that the marketing men have come up with for a long time. A square head will not resist twisting on impact any more than a traditional head, its the chap holding it and the swing the counts.

If you like the look of them and they give you confidence, brilliant, it is what it is!

user127691
Reply : Fri 24th Jul 2009 12:58

Couldn't use a square head driver myself can't get used to the shape but my friend has a nike one and he hits it straight enough. Square head do resit twisting as there is more weight at the edges on off centre hits resiting twisting they do still twist and you won't hit the ball straight everytime because they are not magic wands it will slightly improve off centre hits, but they do take some getting used to visually.

I wouldn't worry to much about them stopping you from shaping your drives most 460cc drivers now have high MOI and can make it difficult to shape a shot that's why alot of manufacturers now produce smaller heads on there better player drivers alot of the pro's use the 430cc heads which give better distance and more shot shaping capabilities but are very unforgiving for higher handicapp players.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top