Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

virtual leader board

Posted by: user25268 | Tue 21st Jul 2009 20:27 | Last Reply

Has the leader board been discontinued, i know there were some dodgy stats on there, is it no longer viable because of this. just wondered!

re: virtual leader board
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 21st Jul 2009 21:01

Does it not show ?

user50657
Reply : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 00:14

You just get a couple of lines of error messages something like SQL error if I remember correctly.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 08:18

Ok, on the case.

Thanks, Darren.

user69191
Reply : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 20:29

Absolutely roaring with laughter at the moment at the virtual leaderboard! At the top of the GIR is someone with 97.22% with 2 rounds recorded, on top of that scoring just under 2 putts per hole. The handicap figure for this 'player'? 21!!!! Basic maths tells us that this 'player' should be playing off scratch! Although I believe that his hcap is actually 21, why can't people just tell the truth? The pros don't hit 97.22% GIR. I've worked out that over his 2 rounds of 'golf' he's only missed 1 green. Average points 41 too! It should be 57 according to the fabricated stats. I love the leaderboard and hate to see it being fixed. I think its a great idea and would not want to see it banished as some would on this site.

Darren, maybe you could get your software developer to iron out a few bugs in the scorecard additional stats input system like:

if hole 1 is a par 4 and 'player' has hit GIR and 2 putts then score must equal 4. if score inputted from player is more than 4 then GIR is false or putts equals false.    then ask 'git' to amend stats for hole 1

Sorry about the crudeness of the above but its been a while since I learnt VB.Net and the psuedo coding of it.

Paul

Last edit : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 20:31
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 20:32

Paul I have done a bunch of reworking but not quite ready to go live.  The key issue is removing the test rounds that people add to see how the system works

user81455
Reply : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 23:44

Darren couldn't you make the leaderboard for handicap tracked rounds only and make it a qualifying condition that 3 rounds have been added for any period to appear on the board?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 23:52

Jon, already does this   the limit is actually 5 rounds plus I have loads of filters to weed out bad data.  Unfortunately with 1000s of rounds being added each week some junk does get through.

There is the call to only show the authenticated rounds in the VLB but this then requires you getting a buddy to approve your rounds. 

In the past we have run competitions using the virtual leaderboard and this is the caveat that the rounds are authenticated to rule out issues as we are discussing.

The complete solution to get round all the problems, once I have fixed a data issue, is to have your own private virtual leaderboard.  This is open to all and all you need to do is create a group and get everyone you know to join.  The group then as it's own virtual leaderboard.  A little hidden gem here on golfshake.com     hopefully your mates wouldn't post the dodgy data!

user81455
Reply : Thu 23rd Jul 2009 00:06

Thanks Darren

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top