Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

3 iron vs 7 wood vs 3 hybrid

Posted by: user125090 | Tue 21st Jul 2009 12:42 | Last Reply

I have uncovered a gap in my clubs - in brief I hit the 4 hybrid about 175 yards from most lies, and my 5 wood 200 yards from the tee (I can't hit it reliably off the fairway).

Having ruled out a 3 iron, I invite your opinions on whether I should plug the gap.  Faced with 190 yards off the tee I presently choke down on the 5 wood.

Secondly, would the gap best be filled by a 7 wood or a 3 hybid?

re: 3 iron vs 7 wood vs 3 hybrid
user77012
Reply : Tue 21st Jul 2009 14:55

7 wood I would defo favour and I think if you play parkland courses it's a must have club over a hybrid. I only switch to a hybrid when i play links and I drop my 3 wood over my 7.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 21st Jul 2009 17:53

I went for a hybrid myself, but I do prefer hitting my woods from the fairway and can use them out of the same level of rough as the hybrid.  I do find the 3 hybrid easier to work though (get a lovely draw with it) and a higher ball flight too, which can come in useful.  With hindsight, I probably would've used a 7 wood more. 

Last edit : Tue 21st Jul 2009 18:02
user115085
Reply : Tue 21st Jul 2009 17:58

I carry a 19* utitlity wood - it's like a short shafted 5 wood and fits the bill nicely as it's good from the tee, fairway and rough.

user99350
Reply : Tue 21st Jul 2009 18:43

Go with what you're most comfortable with, sounds to me that you've talked yourself into gripping down the shaft....nothing wrong with that.

user81455
Reply : Tue 21st Jul 2009 22:54

I love my 3 hybrid for windy conditions but i would be the first to admit that it is not a club to hit and hold greens with.

user52922
Reply : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 12:45

If you are having high failure rates off the fairway with your fairway woods, Martin, then perhaps it would be wise to not use them and play an iron instead. I cannot for the life of me understand why players take out a fairway wood when they have no possibility of reaching the green, assuming they could button it 100%. This cavalier attitude costs many strokes, all unnecessary.

Last edit : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 12:46
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 13:55

It depends on the strengths of you game.  I strike my fairways quite well but tend not to be as accurate as I could be with a 4 or 5 iron into the green.  For this reason, it's better for me to take a 3 wood and a pitching wedge from 340 yards than two 5 irons (assuming the same level of touble around the fairway).  

user52922
Reply : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 14:06

The only time you are likely to e 340 yards from a green is on a par five and it is normal to hit the fairway wood as there is usually the space to do so.The same applies to a short par four of theat distance as the three wood from the tee has a large target to aim at.

My previous post should have been more exlicit when I said that if one cannot reach the green then it should not be used. A lay up would be the sensible approach for any player, no matter what their abilities. All the Pros lay up to a certain distance, you never see them attack the green unless thney are certain they can hit it.

user52922
Reply : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 17:12

Martin, I seem to chane my mind as to what I put in the bag on a daily basis as woods are not my forte. Currently I have a driver, 3 wood, and a ping G5 19deg hybrid. Next week I might have a different driver, a five wood/7 wood and a three iron. Sometiomes I put in the 1 iron. Depends on how I feel. The driver goes everywhere but the fairway, my 3 wood and 5 wood just don't go far enough and the hybrid is a joke club, I really cannot see what its purpose is, but I keep trying to find out, usually ending up in even more trouble and then need rescuing. My irons are great, I don't have a problem in that department.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top