Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Thoughts on this year's Open Championship ?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 20th Jul 2009 09:57 | Last Reply

What's everyone's thoughts on this year's Open Championship at Turnberry ?

For me:

Was great to see Tom Watson battle it out and show it's not all about hitting the ball a country mile, although he still hit it a awfully long way!

The final day was great to watch with so many players getting into contention and making it a captivating watch over the final few hours with Chris Wood having to hang about, Cink birdieing the 18th and the obvious Westwood and Watson.

I also felt immensley sorry for Notts lad Lee Westwood who would have surely made the play off he he knew Waton would drop a shot on the 18th.  For me rather than play for a par on that long putt he went all out to sink it and get a birdie to claw a shot back on Watson.  Hindsight hey 

And finally, why do us Brits fail to bring success on the Open links courses ?  last 20 years:

2008 Padraig HARRINGTON    Republic of Ireland
2007 Padraig HARRINGTON    Republic of Ireland
2006 Tiger WOODS    USA
2005 Tiger WOODS    USA
2004 Todd HAMILTON    USA
2003 Ben CURTIS        USA
2002 Ernie ELS        South Africa
2001 David DUVAL    USA
2000 Tiger WOODS    USA
1999 Paul LAWRIE    Scotland
1998 Mark O'MEARA    USA
1997 Justin LEONARD    USA
1996 Tom LEHMAN        USA
1995 John DALY        USA
1994 Nick PRICE        Zimbabwe
1993 Greg NORMAN    Australia
1992 Sir Nick FALDO    England
1991 Ian BAKER-FINCH    Australia
1990 Sir Nick FALDO    England
1989 Mark CALCAVECCHIA    USA
1988 Seve BALLESTEROS    Spain
1987 Sir Nick FALDO    England

re: Thoughts on this year's Open Championship ?
user26342
Reply : Mon 20th Jul 2009 10:16

I agree Darren,

I think Westwood should have played for Par especially aftetr that superb bunker shot. His mind set had been to be patient all day but I suppose hindsight is a good thing!!

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 20th Jul 2009 10:38

As The Lyth said on another thread, and a sage bit of advice I have taken on board, "Don't get a bogey going for a birdie"

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 20th Jul 2009 13:03

Lee Westwood is 'gutted'. It was there for him to win, but the Ball ran a little too far on 15 and 18 and that was him done.

Watson showed all the youngsters that length is not everything, keeping it in play is. On a Links the length comes too, it is possible to hit a 3iron as far as a Driver on some holes.

Darren asks, why no British winners?

I am afraid that they don't believe in themselves enough and rely on a 'perfect swingstroke' rather than getting the Ball round. Rory is on the way, as is Chris Wood, only time will tell.

TheLyth

user81455
Reply : Mon 20th Jul 2009 23:39

Lee Westwood did not bottle it.  He went for it on the 18th green as he was one shot behind at the time and I think it was the right decision.  If he had tried for the 2 putt from that range he could have left it short and still three putted. 

During the tournament as a whole he played superb golf, got few if any breaks, holed lots of 4 -6ft par putts (his major weakness) and was very close to dropping his eagle putt on the 17th which probably would have sealed his victory.  I think he should have no regrets and be proud of his efforts.

Was very impressed with Chris Wood and can't quite understand the disparity of publicity and financial support between him and Rory McIlroy.  Don't get me wrong I think Rory will be a major contender in the next few years but Chris Wood looks the real deal too.

I thought Ross Fisher conducted himself admirably having made a horlicks of the 5th.  His back nine was good and suggests that won't be the last time he contends.

Luke Donald continues to frustrate.  Great last round again to come close but too little too late seems to sum him up.

user99350
Reply : Tue 21st Jul 2009 08:31

I'm not so sure. I reckon it's a case of bad luck. Playing links golf it was obvious to see that a brilliant shot could end up in trouble as so much depended on the bounce. How many times did we see an iron shot as a lay up run and run and run.

It's a lottery.

I thought Watson had it nailed as he had played a similar shot on 17th with the putter, but there you go. Still, nail biting stuff right up until the last putt. Pity that the play off was a non event but I think it was mentioned that Tom Watson had only won 2/3 out of his 10 play offs.  

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top