Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ruling Please

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 19th Jul 2009 22:39 | Last Reply

Whilst playing in my Summer League game today I did something that I've never done before, and I wasn't too sure what I should have done!

I was on the green and had just put my ball down ready to putt.

Having picked up my marker I moved around to the side of the ball.

At this point I managed to let go of my putter!!!  And guess what?  It landed on my ball.

The ball moved about three or four inches nearer the hole.

Now what should I have done?

Russ

re: Ruling Please
user25808
Reply : Sun 19th Jul 2009 23:09

having just looked at the rules and the decisions on the rules I think you have to incur a 1 stroke penalty and replace the ball rule 18-2 a

Last edit : Sun 19th Jul 2009 23:11
user81455
Reply : Sun 19th Jul 2009 23:15

Off the top of my head I would have agreed with Adrian but having looked at the rule book Rule 18-2 seems to say there is a one shot penalty even if the movement was caused accidently.  The ball should be replaced too.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 20th Jul 2009 08:28

Wrist slapped!!      

I did replace the ball and add on one penalty shot.

But seeing as this is the first time that I have dropped my putter onto my ball I wasn't sure what the correct procedure is!

My playing partners thought that I should just add one shot and play the ball from where it had stopped, simply counting the putting hitting the ball as a putt.

Russ

Last edit : Mon 20th Jul 2009 09:36
user26342
Reply : Mon 20th Jul 2009 10:18

Russ,

I was certain about the 1 shot penalty but I'm like you I think you should have played the ball where it came to rest.

This is what happened in last years Open when players grounded their putter & then the wind moved the ball, they had to play the ball from the new position.

John.

user41897
Reply : Mon 20th Jul 2009 11:30

I'll add one for the same game.

Whilst wandering about looking for his line to the green a player in my group trod on my ball and squashed it into the ground.

He apologised, dug it out and placed it adjacent and we carried on.

Was is the correct action in this case. Is placing okay or should it be a drop?

Sorry to hijack thread Russ.

user64175
Reply : Mon 20th Jul 2009 15:45

Russ and Andy

Hopefully this will answer both of your questioms

See Rule 18. If your ball is at rest and it is moved by you, your partner or your caddie, except as permitted by the Rules, or if it moves after you have addressed it, add a penalty stroke and replace your ball.

If your ball is at rest and is moved by someone else (not during a search) or another ball, replace it without penalty to you. But, in matchplay your opponent incurs a penalty of one stroke, but in stroke play your compettitor incurs no penalty.

Last edit : Mon 20th Jul 2009 15:48
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 21st Jul 2009 12:11

Ian,

You haven't started the hole as you haven't begun your backswing so there is no penalty.  The only other time your club may touch the ball without invoking a penalty is with your putter (as long as it doesn't move).

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top