Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Clubbing Up

Posted by: user50657 | Fri 17th Jul 2009 19:00 | Last Reply

I get  a weekly e-mail of tips from the PGA Professional at Hought-Le-Spring GC. Last week he was talking about iron play (my weak point). He was quoting percentages of amatuer players who hit short of the green and therefore should hit the next iron up. Thought I would put this idea into practise this week and wow what a difference. Played Seaham on Monday and scored a decent 86 (nett 65), then went to Mount Oswald yesterday and hit a best ever 78 (nett 57). That means my handicap has dropped 4 points in a week.

Clubbing up and therefore taking an easier swing certainly seems to have helped me. Can't wait to get out on the course again, bloody rain please go away!!!

re: Clubbing Up
user26342
Reply : Fri 17th Jul 2009 21:05

Graham,

This is where my GPS comes in handy as it gives me the yardages to the back of the greens, I then use this as my distance & I hit more greens in reg.

John.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 17th Jul 2009 23:37

Everyone should keep their stats for one round of golf.

One of those stats should be about the approach shot, short, left, right, long or GIR.

You'd be surprised at how many holes you leave the ball short of the green.

Remember that you pick the club to reach the green, but how many times do you hit a good shot?

Now I can hear people saying but if I take an extra club and catch it good the ball will go through the back of the green.

This is true, but most golf holes have all the trouble at the front of the green and nothing at the back of the green!

Russ

Last edit : Fri 17th Jul 2009 23:38
user50354
Reply : Sat 18th Jul 2009 12:34

Clubbing ups a great tip not taken on board by so many due to the auld macho "I can hit a lob wedge 100 yards" kind of mind thought.

I will be clubbing up in tomorrows comp regardless of what my piers take.

But David has a vaild point,if trouble awaits I don't mind laying up either..

user52922
Reply : Sat 18th Jul 2009 13:10

Clubbing up is a myth in my opinion, after all one selects the club to hit the distance one wishes to achieve, clubbing up from that club will inevitably mean that the ball will go long.

Sherfield is not the kind of course one wants to long on as, like David said at his place, the trouble is far worse than being short.

I don't think it is a macho thing, Robbie, after all there are many players who hit the short irons amazing distances.

There are many diffferent factors that will have a bearing on how far any club will be hit and usually it is because of a poor reading of these factors ,that tend to have the not so good strikers short on occasion.

I doubt there are many on this forum will admit to suffering from coming up short all the time.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top