Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Advice needed for a recurring bad shot.

Posted by: user127343 | Wed 15th Jul 2009 21:32 | Last Reply

If anyone can suggest the cause of my recurring bad shot I would be grateful.

Whilst I know its difficult without having seen me hit a shot some of you may have seen this before. Firstly I am left-handed. My fault is I always hit my shots straight right or hook to the right. I have had a few lessons but success was limited - pro said it was my grip. On the range I could hit it straight most of the time but on the golf course I seem to revert to my old ways.When I do hit the ball straight I have the sensation that I am cutting across the ball with a glancing blow.Contact only feels solid with the club more closed but this causes the pull/hook to the right. All suggestions appreciated as this is becoming very frustrating.

Footnote .

On the North West qualifier I scored 29 points from 13 holes  - I blobbed on 5 .I could easily have done better if I had kept the ball in play more. On the long par 3 some 210 yards I hit 2 tee over the ditch into the adjacent farmers field using a 5 wood. Both shots started off straight at the green then suddenly hooked viciously out of bounds. Similar shots with the driver cost me several shots on other holes.

If you happen to  read this Mr Pettit I would value your input as your knowledge is obvious.

kind regards,

Michael

Last edit : Wed 15th Jul 2009 21:36
re: Advice needed for a recurring bad shot.
user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Jul 2009 21:38

Hi Michael,

I am also a left hander. Without seeing you hit a shot my guess would either be as you said your grip or your setting the club behind the ball closed at address.

I have the opposite problem (although not quite as often now) where I hit a fade.

John.

re: Advice needed for a recurring bad shot.
user202373
Reply : Wed 15th Jul 2009 22:36

mike maybe your thinking about it too much m8,when we first played with you u didnt hit straight right very often it only seems lately that your struggling, golf is mostly in the head,has u no i hold the club back to front and im only just starting to eliminate my left to right drives well i hope so ), i dont really get it with any other club just my driver ,ey ill ask mark the pro me and chris play with to av look at ur swing he will defo be able to help u m8, ill c if hes free sat morn when we play.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top