Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Putting Tips

Posted by: user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 13th Jul 2009 13:20 | Last Reply

I was sat in the Lounge at the Club this morning and the conversation got round to putting. It was noticed that there were more than the usual number of Lip-outs at the Scottish Open.

I mentioned that some of the Tour Guys use the whole of the Hole and don't always aim at the centre of the cup. It became clear that most of the guys there didn't know how to use the edge of the Hole to there advantage.

How many of you guys use the edge (on purpose of course) of the hole when putting?

TheLyth

re: Putting Tips
user77012
Reply : Mon 13th Jul 2009 14:18

I did yesterday David ,it was the only way i could get the balll to come back to me   Had a couple of Angelina Jolie's ( lips outs) and witnessed s few.

On a serious note I do see the ball dropping in from say 3 o'clock around to 9 is this what you referring to.

user83900
Reply : Mon 13th Jul 2009 14:27

I've been concentrating on my putting a fair bit recently, having read a fair few tips etc and it is paying off to a degree.  I have been really focussing in on the smallest possible target (a blade of grass or discolouration on the cup etc) to try and increase aim success.  So sometimes that is a point on the edge of the cup depending on the line but I guess you may be talking more about the way the hole is cut, the grain direction etc??

Any tips please advise further!!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 14th Jul 2009 11:52

Interesting comments.

Most courses cut a new hole twice a week, Monday and Fridays and the Green-keeper is looking for a nice bit of grass, rather than a flat area.

The Tour Pro's have holes cut that morning and in spots that a 3' putt will have little or no break.

So for them to use the Hole Edge to assist in their putting is possible, for us mortals its not most of the time.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top