Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Lie Adjustment

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 10th Jul 2009 22:19 | Last Reply

Whilst my daughter was having her junior golf group lessons I took advantage of the free club check being offered by Direct Golf.

Having hit a few balls to warm up I then hit three balls using the perspex plate and impact tape.

All three shots were hitting the floor at the same place, now looking at it I thought they were good, all in the middle of the tape.

The guy there told me that they needed adjusting by one degree!

Now at £3 a club to be adjusted it cost me £33.  Nine irons and two wedges.

I'm yet to see if the adjustment of my club lie is going to result in a better shot!

Have I been conned?

Russ

re: Lie Adjustment
user24437
Reply : Fri 10th Jul 2009 23:59

You'll find out soon enough tomorrow Russ - are you taking a spare set just in case....

user50843
Reply : Sat 11th Jul 2009 20:55

Can't see how 1 degree can make any difference to anyone but maybe the very best players, just seems to me to be yet another way to get our cash. So i am firmly in the " you been had " corner....

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 12th Jul 2009 15:43

It would be interesting to see if they have said to people "Your clubs are good and don't need adjusting?"

Russ

Reply : Sun 12th Jul 2009 20:28

I was hitting the balls on a driving range and I could see the shape of shot, nice little draw on all three shots.

The tape was on the bottom of the club.

Russ

Reply : Sun 12th Jul 2009 21:32

When I bought the clubs there were custom fitted and my lie was 2 degrees upright.

They were adjusted so they are now 1 degree upright.

I played with them yesterday but to be honest I didn't play well so couldn't really tell if the adjustment had made any difference!

If I've not got any work tomorrow I'll be playing again so maybe I'll be able to tell better then.

Russ

Reply : Mon 13th Jul 2009 19:36

Well I played at The Hertfordshire Golf & Country Club today.

I've never played there before and I shot 80 (40 out, 40 in).

Played really well and I still have the draw but nothing as serious as it could be!

I birdied the stroke index one hole with a good drive and a perfect 8 iron, rolled in a 15 foot putt to complete the hole.

Had eight pars and seven bogeys, so I was eight over par after 17 holes.

Then would you believe it I took a six on the par 3 18th!!!

Pushed my seven iron which hit the light branches on a tree and the ball was lost in flight.  I watched but I didn't see it come down or splash in the lake.  So it was three off the tee, made the green but a long way from the hole and three putted!

It does appear that I have got the benefit from the lie of the club being adjusted but I'll wait and see.  I'll give it a few rounds and keep a watch on my scores.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Mon 13th Jul 2009 20:12

Nice round of golf, Russ, pity about the last, but you know what you did wrong, don't you.

Reply : Mon 13th Jul 2009 20:46

Thank you John and yes I know what I did wrong.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Mon 13th Jul 2009 20:50

Just realised you must have had a right mare on Saturday then Russ!

Reply : Mon 13th Jul 2009 21:53

Tim, I was so disgusted with how poorly I played on Saturday!

Normally I would get five or six pars a round but at the game last Saturday I managed only three!

The difference was with my driving, Saturday I couldn't stop it fading into the rough, today I kept it much straighter.

Russ

Reply : Mon 13th Jul 2009 22:59

Also on Saturday I hit all my best shots on the range before we started!

How often does that happen?

I was in the bay next to Greg Butler and I hit my first shot (driver) of the day and it went straight as a die down the range, I turned to Greg and said "That'll do, I'm off!"

And how true that statement was!

If I warm up badly I play well and if I'm hitting them well on the range I play poorly.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top