Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

putters

Posted by: user60926 | Wed 8th Jul 2009 14:36 | Last Reply

I have decided to buy a new putter but dont know which way to go as in type of head and shaft lenght.

I stand at 6 foot 1" tall and wondered what lenght shaft i should be using.

I have tried lots of different putters with various head and shaft lenghts but none seem to stand out.

At the minute i am playing with a ram zebra which i have had for a number of years.

Has anyone got any advice on any good putters to go for i know its all about feel and everyone has different tastes but any help will be gratefully received

Last edit : Wed 8th Jul 2009 14:45
re: putters
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 14:56

I'd go like this Jason (and did for my last two);

• First get fitted for the right length of putter.  This is personal and not directly related to your height.  I use a 35" and I'm 5' 9" and have a friend who's 6' 1" and uses 33".  It's all down to what's comfortable for your putting style. 
  • Then decide whether you like an inserted face or not (try several and see which you prefer the feel of)
  • Then decide whether you like a mallet, semi-mallet or blade (try several and see which you prefer the feel of)
  • Then try several from your down-selection (say 34" inserted mallets) which you like and try several and see which you prefer the feel of and look of at address.
  • Tell your missus which one you like and get her to buy it for you for Christmas!
  • re: putters
    user93554
    Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 15:12

Jason,

It is not a bad idea to get fitted for a putter.  I went to a putting clinic held at my local driving range (£10 for a couple of hours, all aspects of putting).

Worked out that  I need a 33" putter but my alignment and stroke were fine.  The big thing was making sure that my eyes were over the ball at set up, to test just take a ball and set up for a putt as normal then get another ball and put it between yours eyes then drop it.  It should hit the first ball.

I took my putter to a guy at the range and he cut 2" off the shaft for a fiver.

Job done.

user38216
    Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 18:15

Ive started to put my index finger of my left hand (lefthanded) down the shaft, extended, it has really helped me with feel and control.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 19:52

Have a putting lesson or two, and ask the pro about putters then.

He'll give you advice and you'll learn to putt better at the same time.

Once you know that your putting stroke is good then you can worry about the putter.

For the last ten years or so I've had a putter that I bought from JJB sports for £3.49!

I was in the shop and picked it up and it felt good straight away.  And at that price it was worth a gamble.  Been using it ever since.

When I'm in a golf/pro shop I'm always looking at the putters but have yet to find one that I like as much as my own.

When buying your custom fitted putter make sure they have a large choice, and don't let them push you into buying one that is in stock if you need one that they haven't got!

Russ

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 21:45

My pro only has about twenty putters to choose from and I've tried a couple out on th course, but none of them were any better than what I'm using now!

If you decide to get a new putter then make certain that you go somewhere that has a large choice.  Also, practice on the real stuff not off the mats!

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top