Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

No distance with Irons

Posted by: user50657 | Tue 7th Jul 2009 20:25 | Last Reply

I'm getting really frustrated with my Irons. (Wilson Deep Red Power Weight 5-SW)

I can drive the ball 250yards plus, 3w about 230 yards and my hybrids fine as well, but my Irons I'm really struggling with. For instance on a flat and windless 160 yard par 3 yesterday, I hit a clean 5 Iron shot off the tee which went straight and about the correct loft, but only went about 140 yards.

When I tried the clubs before I bought them, the 7 Iron was carrying about 150 yards, so anyone have any idea where my Iron power has gone?

Thanks

re: No distance with Irons
user52922
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 20:40

Graham, probably you did not strike the ball as well as you thought you did or maybe by taking the iron off the tee you hit it cleanly and then it will not travel as far as if it had been hit off the fairway.

user24437
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 21:47

Although I wouldn't proffess to be as much of an analyst as John P, I too did the same thing when I got my new irons.  I reckon you're probably trying to hit it too hard.  I soon realised that it was a combination of the thought of the arrow straight 170 yarder down the middle and the desperate attempt to recreate that, and hey presto the swing goes to pot.  I often found that the divot went further than the ball!  I've since slowed down and try to swing through, rather than hit, the ball and it's slowly coming together.... 

user235379
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 22:18

GRaham, when you tried them did you use the salesmans measureing stick?

just kidding

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 08:09

Graham,

It doesn't matter how far your irons'should' go, it's how far they do.  Rather than trying to force them to go further, club up.  As things come together you will start to get more distance with them.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 19:57

It could be that you are trying too hard!

For the moment try and work out how far you are hitting the irons then at least you will know which club to take.

I'm sure that you will get back into your old swing and will start getting the ball to travel a bit further.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top