Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Chances Of Level Par Or Better Gross

Posted by: user50354 | Mon 6th Jul 2009 08:32 | Last Reply

So Peeps,

What do you reckon the chances are of us 20 plus handicappers shooting level par or better on either the front or back 9 or even the 18....??

Why I ask is because yesterday I had a poor front 9 (scoring 10 points) and a back 9 that had 9 bogeys (scoring 20 points).

Now my point is, yes I reckon some of those bogeys could become pars but equally so, some could become double bogeys. But what are the chances of them all becoming pars or better..??

Have you ever managed such a result and if so off what handicap and where

re: Chances Of Level Par Or Better Gross
user38216
Reply : Mon 6th Jul 2009 10:59

I shot level par at Woolacombe and Morthoe Golf Course twice in a week. It is only a 9 holer. Better still it was done with my 'holiday' set of donnay clubs which cost me £50 quid. Ive still got them in the garden shed, can' bare to part with them!!!

Never got close over a full 18 though, only ever broke 80 once.  I now seem to be struggling to break 90 on a reg basis.

I'm considering changin my middle name to inconsistent.

user77012
Reply : Mon 6th Jul 2009 12:18

Robbie I would have thought a bit like your good self ..... A little SLIM!!

how's the fitness regime going,well i hope??

It would be very difficult and I would suggest that they were off the wrong Hcp .First time I did it on a par 72  had six boogies ,4 birdies and an eagle playing off 10 = 46pts.

user50354
Reply : Mon 6th Jul 2009 12:28

gym going well Dave, Monday Wednesday Friday nights about 1 1/2 hour sessions of cardio routine then a few weights - really enjoy it, I have my ipod and do 6 songs on each cardio machine which is 15 to 20 mins...

Still a minature teletubby but feel better for it....

user77012
Reply : Mon 6th Jul 2009 13:18

Cool keep it up I've shed 35lbs since the beginning of Feb and feel great for it.

Govan , what are you? Santos apprentice................................ !

user79118
Reply : Mon 6th Jul 2009 20:35

I know somebody who when he was playing off 18 handicap shot 1 over par on the front 9 and 1 over par on the back 9 but not in the same round. Somebody else with an 18 handicap had a nightmare front 9 (56 shots) then it started raining and the wind picked up. He did the back 9 in 37 shots!!! Complete contrast. Something clicks or a little bit of luck, maybe both but yeah it does make you think what if.... One day it will happen to me hopefully. This Sunday would be good!!!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 21:09

Good logic Ian, only one problem.

If a 20 Hcp has parred every hole on a course at one time or another then a round of level par is possible. OK yes.  But with the same logic a low Hcp who has made at least a Birdie on every hole on a course at some time can shoot 18under (about 52 gross).

Now which is most likely to happen?

TheLyth

user50843
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 22:52

The original question was front or back 9 at par for 20 capper, I think it is possible, I nearly did it myself on more than one occasion, 39 on 2 different days (par 36).There are times when 20ish cappers are improving quickly and on their day could do it.

I think a full round at par or better is not possible.  

user69191
Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 18:26

Over 9 holes its possible, but highly unlikely. Over 18 holes no chance. Most players who have high handicaps do so because their short game lets them down, the closer they get to the hole, the more shots they take.

When single figure handicappers miss the greens, more often than not they'll get up and down, and when they hit the greens they take no more than 2 putts.

20+ handicappers genererally have poor stats when it comes to GIR (and I do too, only about 30% tops), some will then fluff a chip to the green or take 2 shots out of a bunker and then possibly 3 putt.

A 300 yard drive is useless if you can't knock it from 3 feet, a shot is a shot is a shot! And that's the difference.

Paul

user69191
Reply : Thu 9th Jul 2009 14:32

Very nice back 9 Marcus with back to back birdies, and cut 2.7 shots off it too. You must have been thinking what could've been had you got off to a good start!

If the handicap system was based on 9 holes then most of us would be class 1 golfers embarrasing ourselves week in week out over 18.

Paul

user215495
Reply : Thu 9th Jul 2009 20:53

Hi Guys , reading all your comments i actually used to work on the theory if i've parred each hole on the course once i can do it again , its good to have a goal , i've parred the local course ( Garstang par 68 off back tee's ) whilst on an 11 handicap , now i've got down to 6.4 i've not done it again, but have shot 1 over twice, my level par round started with 2 bogeys though ,i thought here we go normal day, then just relaxed and enjoyed the game , with a nice little up and down on the last for a 68.....YES ! !.. longest 4 footer of my life....heres to breaking par..happy golfing all...G

user77012
Reply : Thu 9th Jul 2009 22:15

Always better than bogeying the last two Graham.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top