Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What is the best way to clean your irons?

Posted by: user243215 | Fri 3rd Jul 2009 00:21 | Last Reply

Hi,could anyone please tell me the best way to clean/maintain my irons.

I have currently been using a stainless steel cleaning solution by Ashtonish,i got from the £ shop.

It cleans them beautifully but i find i slice alot in my round after cleaning. I'm thinking it may be leaving a film on the face of the club,therefore,preventing any grip for the ball on contact. The more i use the club the better it gets.I've thrown that bottle away now, so would be very grateful for your help.  P.S. A friend suggested WD40 but surely that would have the same effect?

re: What is the best way to clean your irons?
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 08:29

Warm soapy water and a nail brush for the heads, warm soapy water and a cloth for the grips.  Soak for a few minutes first to loosen the dirt and make sure you dry them with a towel.

Or if the guy who does the ultrasonic cleaning is at The Belfry when I play, I give him a fiver and my clubs and go back 20 minutes later

user24437
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 08:37

Warm soapy water and an electric toothbrush works a treat - doesn't scratch the paint in the grooves, gets in all the little nooks and crannies and is especially good for spin-milled faces.  Don't use really hot water because it can loosen the glue in the hosels though.

user71987
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 09:01

My wife has an ultra sonic cleaner to clean jewllery.

what I really like is it is just big enough to get the club heads in!

works a treat.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 09:10

Use a wire brush after each shot and wipe the club face with a cloth.

This way you won't need to clean your club face at all, you're doing it after every shot.

Warm, soapy water for the grips, then towel dry.

Russ

user99350
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 09:14

Like Tim, except I use a normal toothbrush. If you've had a particularly heavy practice session or you've not cleaned for ages, leave them to soak though make sure water level is below the hosel. I also use a needle type thing to clean the groves.

user93554
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 15:02

There used to be one of those sonic cleaners at my old golf club and it was brilliant.  Grips came up tacky and grooves super clean.

A quick search on eBay and there are a numer of them for sale, might have to get myself one!!

Last edit : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 15:02
user41897
Reply : Sat 4th Jul 2009 23:01

this is what you need.

Dave Marshall recommended a while back on a similar thread.  I splashed out my £4.99 and have never looked back.  It is a great tool.

Masters Water Bottle Brush Club Cleaner Thing...

Last edit : Sat 4th Jul 2009 23:01
user30263
Reply : Mon 26th Nov 2012 15:02

I was looking through the Forums and found this chain of posts. Very interesting to read even though from a while back. It is good to see positive comments about Ultrasonic Cleaning as many players dont know anything about it! As for Fairy Liquid it will never get the grips to come up as well as a Professional Ultrasonic clean. If any players see Clear Swing Professional Ultrasonic Cleaning services at an event, give them a try, you will not be disappointed! Nothing gets the grips back to tacky as quickly and efficiently as Ultrasonic cleaning, its amazing how many gentlemen that tell us their wives clean their clubs, when in reality it is a dream lol!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top