Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Turnberry is ready

Posted by: user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 2nd Jul 2009 23:50 | Last Reply

Hi Guys,

Over the years I have made many friends in the Golf Business and today was one of the days I look forward to each year. Each year I get an invite to what is sometimes called a "Press Day" by the R&A. We go to The Open venue, have a few Q&A meetings and the good golfers get to play the Championship Course. Today was that day.

We set of at 3am for the 4hr drive, arriving at Turnberry just before 7am. breakfast and a few Q&A sessions and at 11am off we went. It was a overcast day but the temp was in the mid 70's. There is a real test awaiting the guys and I was overjoyed in the way I managed to get round. I think I should play Links Golf for the rest of my life and the surface of the greens is fantastic. They are expecting some heavy rain between now and the start of the Championship but not enough to soften it up.

The only thing that was missing were the actual TV camera's and the thousands of spectators that will flock in to see it. As we walked onto the 18th green I had goose-bumps as the guys who hadn't played were there to "welcome us home".

What did I shoot you may ask?

76 would be the answer.

TheLyth

re: Turnberry is ready
user26342
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 00:01

Dave,

sounds fantastic. When the open's is on TV you'll be able to say "I parred that, I birdied that etc"

Are you allowed to try & qualify for the event?

John.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 00:06

Not anymore, my Official Hcp is too high, but if I ever rejoin the PGA I'll have a go.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 08:50

I bet you thoroughly enjoyed that experience Lyth. I was pleased that you reecognised what most people are missing by not playing any or enough links golf.

user99350
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 09:21

Lyth, that must be a day to remember. The honour of getting to play must have been joy enough but to have played well and scored well too. Well done.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 12:00

It also means that Royal St Georges is now the only present day Open venue that I have not played.

Did you know that 9 of the holes at Turnberry play right to left.

TheLyth

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 3rd Jul 2009 12:02

Most holes play right to left for me on the second shot Lyth, the fade makes sure of that!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top