Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

golfing breaks

Posted by: user60926 | Tue 30th Jun 2009 13:16 | Last Reply

Can anybody come up with any info regarding best places to go for a couple of days golfing with friends.

Needs to be probably no more than 1 hours drive from Derby and reasonably priced to get the go ahead from some of the people who are more carefull with there money so to speak.

Looked at sites like golf breaks and in the golf mags but not having played any of the courses that were on offer thought i would ask for any help offered.

Also how easy is it to set up a society there are quite a few of us who play regular would it benefit us to go down that road.

re: golfing breaks
user24437
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 13:42

Jason

the Belfry is nice, but if you're staying over be prepared to get fleeced on drinks - can work out expensive for a few rounds.  If you fancy a cheaper alternative we did a comp at Patshull Park just outside Wolverhampton - nice little course, comfy hotel with pool and spa, very good food and reasonable beer prices.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 13:47

Derby is the easiest and the worst of the courses and when at it's worst is like a good muni.  On it's good days it plays like a good pay and play private course, which is what it is.  In my humble opinion, the quality of the courses in ascending order is Derby, Brabazon, PGA.  What I will say is that if any of your group are beginners or genuine 28's the PGA will eat them alive and the Brab will detroy their self esteem!  As long as you are carding mid-90's on a regular basis you'll be fine. 

They were doing a deal recently that was dinner, B & B and a round on both the PGA and Brabazon for £169.  Have a look at their website for the latest offers.   

user77012
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 14:02

Jason I would book with Golfbreaks.com  so easy and good rates , from you I can recommend, Hawkstone Park,Telford golf & Country,Abbey Grove Redditch night out ok ,The Welcombe Stratford great night out in Stratfford too.

On a budget try the Belmont at Hereford doing amazing deals at the moment Sunday and Monday 2 golf b&b and evening meal £36 . Lovely course a short taxi ride into Hereford good night out there also. 

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 14:15

Does the Warwickshire have accomodation?  That'd be a good shout (just off junction 15 of the M40).  If it doesn't then Warwick is a nice place for an overnight stay and is only 10 minutes up the road. 

user38216
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 14:54

Try The Abbotsley, St Neots.  Fantastic for a W/E break. Great course and hospitality.

user24437
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 15:29

Jason - M*****d is the nearest course to me, unfortunately am not particularly welcome there any more after falling out with the owners when I complained about the greens.  Have to go there incognito now, even though I was a member when it very first opened.  Certainly not the best course in the area, although I think they're are finally getting rid of the lightly buried debris under the fairways.

Which other courses have you tried around here? 

Last edit : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:27
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 15:31

Finally, he names and shames the course!!!!  You kept that quiet for a long time Hawkins!

user24437
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:27

Didn't name it!  Still, better than libel action!

Last edit : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:28
user115085
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:28

I'd second the Abbey hotel in Redditch (if that's where you meant by Abbey Grove Dave?). Played it many times (used to live in the 'ditch). The 18th is an excellent finisher for society groups with the bar terrace over looking the green. It's a very short reachable par 4 that is protected by a pond and bunkers.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:30

Dear Mr Secretary,

If you follow this link.......

I can always edit your post Tim.  The power of Moderation!!!

user26342
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 20:12

I can 2nd the recommendation for the Welcombe.

Another suggestion is Cleobury Mortimor, they have 3 loops of 9 which are superb. They have their own cottages right by the course & do some cracking deals.

John.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top