Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Help understanding H/C calculation

Posted by: user115937 | Tue 30th Jun 2009 09:25 | Last Reply

Hi all

I was just wondering if someone could help me work out why my handicap was trimmed slightly from 28 to 26.8 after my round on Sunday at Oak Park, Crondall (Surrey)

Gross score = 97, therefore Net score = 69 (Hcp = 28), SSS of yellow tees = 69

Is this not a 0 within my buffer zone for my category?  I was just intrigued to know why it was cut on Golfshake?  I dont quite understand the system yet to be honest, I have read the Handicap FAQ on here but again, my score seems to come out with a 0 in the buffer zone and therefore I didn't think it would change my handicap.  Any help to understand this is greatly appreciated : )

Cheers fellas.

Matt

re: Help understanding H/C calculation
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 09:55

Matt,

Check that the SSS is correct for the scorecard on Golfshake.  A couple are out but it can be adjusted when entering the card.  Or you may have entered a card for the wrong tees.  Otherwise I'm stumped. 

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 10:02

Matt,

Did the make up of the 97 include some big scores. The system puts all big scores at one level so a 10 could be a 7 etc. So the system may have adjusted your score to the Nett 66 that would needed for that DROP.

TheLyth

user115937
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 10:04

Scorecard on golfshake is right with correct Par, SSS and SI for each hole.  I've double-checked.  Hmmm!

user115937
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 10:15

Aha, thanks guys.  David - I had one really bad hole...hit a 10 on a par4 with SI 13 (I was so annoyed with myself! lol).  So in theory this hole has dropped to a 7? The 3 shots saved here take the score to a Nett 66 is that what the -1.2 h/c cut is based on...is that correct?

Cheers

Matt

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 10:15

Matt,

I had a peek at your Card and see two of the "Big Scores" that I mentioned.

Our Hcp system is based on Stableford Scores and the amount of adjustment differs to each catagory level. From this your two "Big Scores" were adjusted down by 3 shots. Others on here know the exact figures, so they may post later.

Hope this helps for now.

TheLyth

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 10:54

All scores on your card will be rounded down to a net double bogey, so your 10 on SI13 par 4 will indeed be rounded down to 7.  I had something similar recently; I got cut when the 9 I took on the SI 18 par 3 was rounded down to a 6 (don't ask!) 

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 11:14

What a great 9 it was, Chris. You will have learned from it though.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 12:03

I learnt a few things on that hole John

• Don't hit the large oak tree on the left of par 3's, your ball will come back towards you and land in knee high rough
  • Don't let John rush off in his buggy to find your ball when your provisional is on the green
  • Knee high rough at Sherfield Oaks takes at least three shots to get your ball out of
  • Most importantly, make sure you have considered ALL you options before taking a swing at it.  I didn't consider replaying from the original position which would have been my best option
  • It only takes one poor hole to wreck your card on a medal round
  • I obviously lerned my lesson as I parred it yesterday. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top