Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Silly Golf Rules!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 29th Jun 2009 19:27 | Last Reply

I was playing for my golf club yesterday.

The weather was really warm and we were due to tee off at noon.

So being as it was a big inter-club competition and it was going to be so hot, I decided to put my shorts on and use the sight of my white, hairy legs to put off my opponents!

Imagine my surprise as we waited to tee off when their captain pointed out to me that shorts were not allowed to be worn during Essex County competitions!

And the daft thing here is he was correct!!!

So I had to put on my waterproof bottoms to play my round of golf.  I didn't have time to go home and change.

Now I just thought to myself what a stupid rule, who in their right minds sat there and said "No matter how hot the weather is we must make all the players were trousers"

Do you know any other silly rules?

Russ

re: Silly Golf Rules!
user52922
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 19:39

Russ, I don't think it is a silly rule at all. I have never classed shorts as reasonable attire for a golf course, especially when one sees what is being paraded around these days.

If this is the way of the 21st century then count me out.

I have no doubt that if the professionals are ever allowed to wear them then things might be different.

Last edit : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:00
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 19:52

One of Yorkshires Golf Clubs bans Men from wearing Denim, but the Ladies are allowed.

user52922
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:17

Women have their own rules. You will have noticed their socks, or perhaps you haven't as they are vurtally hidden. Nothing worse than seeing a big fat lump of lard (Like Me) wearing baggy shorts and those womens ankle socks.

Shorts have always been allowed to be worn in the summer but the ruling was always that the shorts were tailored and the socks were knee length.

I personally have never had a problem with my legs getting too hot to even think about needing shorts to play in. There are many lightweight trousers on the market that are comfortable to play in.

Last edit : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:18
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:22

Thats one of my problems John.

I am hotter and more uncomfortable wearing the Knee socks than long trousers, so don't wear shorts unless I can wear short socks.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:30

Fair enough, David, but would you turn up in that attire if you were playing for Yorkshire?

Last edit : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:31
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:42

I might turn up in that attire, but would change into County Colours to play.

I don't really know who has the stricter Dress Code, The Pro's (PGA) or the Amateurs (EGU etc).

BTW, did you see the Chilian (Filipe AGUILAR) at the week-end.

TheLyth

Last edit : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:47
user52922
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:47

If I had ever turned up in anything other than my county blazer and tie, I would never have been selected again. it was hard enough earning it, so I was always proud to wear it.

I feel in the main that the pros are much better turned out than us amateurs, but then again they probably get all their apparel for free.

In respect of the Chilian, I don't have any means of seeing golf on the TV so I  did not see him.

user235379
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:51

john, i'm sure i've seen Freddy Couples wearing shorts....

user52922
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:55

In a tournament, Alan? I would be very surprised.

Last edit : Mon 29th Jun 2009 20:55
user235379
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 21:07

it may have been in the USA (if indeed i did see it)

Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 21:27

May well have been off Tour, in a Skins game maybe?

Many of the young Pro's arrive at the course in Jeans and Sandles or Trainers now adays.

"Wouldn't have happened in my day"

TheLyth

user235379
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 21:35

i have been googling and maybe my memory is as bad as my putting.

Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 22:13

John P,

AGUILAR was wearing a White Shirt with the usual "Sponsor Logo's" on it but it was his trousers. Left leg Red, Right Leg White with a large Blue rectangle with a white star on it. The Chilian Flag?

I remember both John O'Leary and Gary Player wearing Black and White that way.

TheLyth

Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 22:34

Matt,

The golfing world is full of people with different tastes. A Traditional Golf Club with what you call a "Stupid Rule" will attract Traditional Golfers who wish to play the game in a Traditional way. If you don't like that sort of place, don't play there. But don't try and tell them how you think they should act just because you don't agree with what 'The old Gin-soaks' say.

Call them a "Snob" if you want, but if a guy is willing to pay £2500 per year to be a member of a club that doesn't allow Shorts, Tee-shirts, Jeans, Trainers and scruffy oiks on the course then so be it. You'd have to pay around £200 to have a round there anyway.

TheLyth

Last edit : Mon 29th Jun 2009 23:47
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 23:43

Matt,

Your opinion is just that, YOUR OPINION. Other people have there opinion too, if you don't agree with it, that's up to you. BUT (Mods Head On) don't question other peoples opinion in the way you do because it could be offensive.

It's clear that you are part of this problem "Lyth  Now I could take offence to this statement, why shouldn't I?

I am welcomed at every Golf Club I care to visit. Why? Because I respect there Rules, whatever they may be. Today Golf is available to everyone at some level.

Also do you actually know what a "Scruffy Oik" is in golfing terms, obviously not, because you wouldn't have said what you did.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 23:53

International Course

Seasons

Monday to Thursday

Fridays, Weekends
& Bank Holidays

November to March

£55

£65

April

£65

£75

May to October

£95

£110

Here is the dress code for the London Golf Club,

Dress Code

The London Golf Club aims to operate a contemporary and forward-thinking dress policy, commensurate with a modern day country club. 

It is in all our interests to maintain reasonable standards of casual but smart dress in keeping with golfing traditions. Golfers at The London Golf Club are therefore made aware that the following are required standards that must be adhered to both on the golf course and in the clubhouse.

Clothing
Any distressed or ‘dirty’ denim jeans, paramilitary style camouflage trousers, tracksuits, leggings and shell suits, Collarless T-shirts, rugby and football shirts are not permitted on the courses at any time.

Shoes
Golf shoes must be worn on the course and are not acceptable in the upstairs Long Bar and Restaurant areas of the clubhouse.

Changing Facilities
The clubhouse has every facility required for changing into and from golfing apparel. Changing in the car park is not permitted.

This above standards applies to both members and visitors alike and disregard for these very reasonable standards can lead to the person or persons concerned being asked to leave the course, or the clubhouse by the club Manager, or any senior member of staff.

This does not tell me that they are encouraging any riff raff to join their club.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 00:05

John,

It is very interesting to read that changing in the car part is not permitted. They obviously had someone do a full change there, not just shoes.

TheLyth

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 00:11

John,

Just wondering, when you played County Golf did you hear of anyone being told that International selection would be unavailable to them until they joined a favourable Club.

I know for a fact that one lad was told "you would have a better chance of making the National side if you didn't have a Muni has your "Home" Club. He moved to Sandmoor GC and played in The Home Internationals a few months later.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 09:16

David L, I think that County Golf, like many other organisations attach great importance to where you golf is played. In Somerset it was recognised that one had to be a member of either Byrnham & Berrow or Weston-Super-Mare to get into the county side and it was not until the county decided to bring the county team around the clubs to play matches that the powers to be realised that there were many other fine players in the county.

I might also add that once ensconced into this little clique that it is very difficult to get out of. When it comes to selection they usually pick the faces they know and of course the players previous record.

This makes it more difficult for young players who are improving fast to get into the side, whilst older players are hanging on to something they really should not be a part of, as their game is no longer good enough.

In my time in County golf the only two players who made it to International level were Gordon Brand (Jnr) Knowle Golf Club and Gloucester County and Brian Barnes, Burhnham & Berrow, Somerset County.

Yet one only had to go across the severn bridge into Wales and play county golf fixtures and the whole Glamorganside were made up of Welsh Internationsal, the scalps of which used to make one wonder if the selection process is in some way flawed.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 09:34

I'm reasonably new to the game, having only been playing around three or four years, but I don't have a problem with wearing tailored trousers/shorts and a shirt with a collar.  I do not think there is a club anywhere that would have a problem with the way I dress for golf, and I dress the same whether I am playing at the local muni or at The Belfry.  I do however believe that clubs so should recognise changing times and the wearing of ankle socks like the women wear instead of knee length should be acceptable (there are still a few that insist on knee length socks). 

Times have changed at most clubs and the days of juniors being forced to say "Good morning Mr President" and give up the snooker table have thankfully gone at most clubs.  I think this is more an indication of the class barriers in society breaking down and an acceptance of all as equals than a change in golf specifically. 

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 09:34

You are welcome to your opinion Matt, and obviously you will think you are correct as it would not be your opinion otherwise. You do need to recognise that others are entitled to a different opinion to you and this does not necessarily make them wrong or 'part of [a] problem'. If we all had the same opinion, the world would be a boring place; one politcal party, everyone supporting one football team, everyone driving the same car, etc.

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 10:35

Chris, you are relatively new to the game so have no experience of a proper golf club. The club you are a member of is not, in the true sense of the word, a members club and as such comparison with a real club cannot be made. Just like my club, basically a pay and play.

All this nonsense about fuddy duddy's is something that I never encountered in all the years I have played. I agree that at St. Georges Hill Golf club I could only join as an Artisan member, but why should I get uptight about that when it only cost me £2 per annum as opposed to a much more considerable sum of money.

There is more snobbery from new money than there ever was from people who were born into it. In fact I find those kind of people very charming and welcoming.

I suppose the difference is that we were all brought up to respect our elders, something that has disappeared, like many other things.

Clubs are entitled to make their own rules and expect everyone to conform to them.

If this goes against the grain then don't play there. I am quite sure they will not be disappointed.

user40826
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 10:40

Shell Suits - who owns a shell suit anymore!!  Ha ha!

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 11:02

John,

I agree with you regards the length of my golfing career and my home course, but I have played at a lot of different clubs and always abide by their rules and code of etiquette.  Like you, I believe that if you do not agree with them you just don't play there and they won't miss you.  I also agree that new money is where the problem comes from now as these people believe that they are better than those who have not been able to attain their level of wealth and are therefore above them. 

Chris W - I have one word for you.  Chavs!!!

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 11:24

Shell Suits - who owns a shell suit anymore!!  Ha ha!

One Sir James Savile

user40826
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 11:29

Now then, now then, shell suits, shell suits, lovely lovely!!

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 11:46

If you look at the history of Golf you will see how it changes through time.

Golf Clubs were formed by groups of Gentlemen who got together and put their own money into building a "Gentlemans Club for Golf". Before, they just hit a Ball around Common Land. Then as these Clubs grew popular, these Gentlemen allowed others to join their Club at a price which was beyond many.

Some of those Clubs are still around today and others have joined them and become very "elite" places.

On the other hand, the guys who continued to hit a Ball about on Common Land, also got catered for and the Municipal came into being, which also led to todays privately owned Pay & Plays.

Between the two, can be found a Golf Club that suits the wants of every Golfer. You can pay £5.00 for a game or £200,000 for a Debenture but in the end it's still Golf.

TheLyth  

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 12:01

David L. here is a link to a course that I played many years ago when I was an artisan. One can only play here by invitation only.

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=68

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 12:27

An opinion, Matt, that you are entitled to. So I can assume that when or if you get married then you will be wearing shorts and a tee shirt because of the hot weather. Have a nice day.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 12:29

John P,

Here's the Club that costs £200,000 even before you pay your Membership Fees, and only 10% of its members are UK based.

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=1512

TheLyth

Last edit : Tue 30th Jun 2009 12:38
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 12:34

You make a very valid point Matt and I agree with your views, as I'm sure most on here will.  Anyone can wear a £3 polo shirt from Sports World and hack up the course with no idea of etiquette whilst the 10 handicapper who has nipped over for a quick 9 on the way home from work but hasn't got the 'right' clothing would be frowned on.  I agree that if courses enforce the clothing rule they should ensure that those wearing it keep up a good pace of play and observe the rules and etiquette of the game. 

However, if you tried to get into a pub or nightclub and didn't meet with their dress code expectations, you would be refused entry.  You may be annoyed at the time with the management's views, but you would accept it and go elsewhere.  Why could a golf club not ask the same?  I know the fact that you are wearing a pair of trousers and a shirt with a collar does not make you a better golfer, but it does mean that the club knows that the player has made some effort to play the course. 

In my experience when playing clubs with little or no dress code, the behavioural problems usually come from those who are dressed in a way that would not be accepted at a private club.  I have known these to be people who have bought a half set from a car boot sale for a tenner and thought they would try golf for a laugh with three of them sharing one bag (and arguing about who should carry it) while they rip up the course and take huge divots out of greens when they play a 7 iron off them. 

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 12:34

If you were a member of a proper golf club you will find that it does not take five hours to go round and the course will not be cluttered by hundreds of green fee payers. That is why golfers at these clubs. who do not wish to be a part of the modern scruffy game ,can enjoy their game with like minded people at a pace that has been the norm for over a hundred years.

I played a private club very near to my home on Friday last and we were round in two and threequarter hours The course was in impeccable condition, greens lightning fast and the members went out of their way to talk with us after the game. The reason I have not joined this club is because it is expensive and it would take me some time to get to know all the members.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 12:46

We were having a pop at you Williams, no-one likes you

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 12:48

David L,

The course looks very nice and I am sure I would like to play it, but it has been built to cater for only the rich, famous and at the desingned length only for players of exceptional power and ability. As one comment said, 516 yards uphill into the wind is not a par 4 for the majority of those who play this game.

You are a very good player David, as one would expect from having had a professional career and probably still hit the ball a very long way.

The difference between us in handicap is 16 shots, yet if I were to play off your drives you could not give me anywhere near that amount of shots and beat me. So in effect what I am trying to say is that the par for me on these modern long courses is completely different to someone of your ability.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 13:01

You deserve the abuse and anyway you like it!

Yes we're off at 15:20 on Saturday, assuming you're allowed out this week. 

I don't get called Perryranger behind my back, they do it to my face, along with much worse!

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 13:10

Matt,

You have  an opinion that Golf Clubs that have a Strict Dress Code are Snobbish and Eliteist, but also WRONG in having that Code.

I am saying that those Golf Clubs don't care about your opinion, they will set the Rules as they wish and expect all members and visitors to respect that.

If you want to play in a Tee shirt and shorts, thats fine by me.

TheLyth

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 13:28

John P,

Here is another course that you may have played but it is most definately worth the Green-Fee if you have not.

http://www.alwoodley.co.uk/

It may have changed now, but they didn't use to pay a membership fee here, you'd buy a share and were told how much they required from you each year. Could be £100, could be £5000. You must have been a "Professional Person" to get in. Monthley Medal list read Sir ?, RH ?, Father ? etc. I've gone up to play there in an afternoon and seen High-Court Judges being picked up after Lunch.

The thing about Alwoodley though is that you are welcomed with open arms as a visitor, but I would still call it Eliteist.

TheLyth

Last edit : Tue 30th Jun 2009 13:34
user99350
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 13:35

I don't see the problem with any club setting whatever rules they want as long as they treat you with a bit of civility. If I want to play a particular course then I'll abide by their rules. If you're of that persusion that you look for anything that you can criticise or contradict then you're best not going there as all involved will just end up being p*ssed off.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 13:42

Patrick,

You probably know about the old Free Memberships at Alwoodley and Moor Allerton.

The Friday after six lot at MA, and the Tarn Lane lot at Alwoodley.

TheLyth

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 14:09

Matt,

You will find that most Clubs have the guy who works hard 9-5 and gets a lot of grief from his bosssupervisor, so when he goes to the Club he feels better if he can "Lord" it over anyone. Juniors are the usual target, because more often than not they are better players than him.

TheLyth

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 14:13

Can't argue with that Matt.  The "I've been a member here for 40 years and so I have standing over you" crew, coupled with the "I don't mind myself but you just did XYZ and some people would complain" group are thankfully few and far between now. 

I agree that if clubs made sure that pace of play is maintained, divots and pitchmarks repaired, etc we would all enjoy the game more, as long as they don't take it too far.  I played the Brabazon earlier this year and was first group out so setting the pace.  After 7 holes we were a hole and a half up but the marshall was still following us round on his segway and hassling us to pick up the pace as we were 5 minutes down.  He even called the halfway house to tell them to check our time at the turn.  Mind you, that particular guy is annoying little pain in the ass anyway......

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 14:20

Drew,

It isn't the question of not wearing shorts, it's the fact that most Clubs say that you must wear Knee-high socks with them.

Some years ago a member of Roundhay was talking to the Secretary about not being allowed in the Clubhouse in his Jeans. His response was a classic "My Jeans cost more than everything you are wearing, now where is the logic in the Rule".

TheLyth

user38216
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 14:53

I actually prefer a strict dress code when playing golf. I'm a member of an 1895 affiliated club and by keeping standards high, heritage is left intact and you have to make the effort.  I think of it as part of preparation before a game.

I would certainly not be considered a snob and those of you that know me would agree i'm sure.  Lets keep the game special and not dilute it to suit the ever annoying youth!

My local Muni had great heritage as a private club until they decided to build the M5 through the middle of it, now its in tatters and thats the only type of golfer that plays there!

Grumpy rant over and out.

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 15:07

I am with you David H. I really cannot believe that players feel the need to play in a garment that is only 2 feet shorter than a pair of trousers stating that it is cooler.

You will never see an Arab in a pair of shorts and they live in hot conditions all year round.

Last edit : Tue 30th Jun 2009 15:16
user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 15:18

I think you will find that the London club will be as strict as anywhere in dress code. You have been misinformed. It is an expensive club in every way.

Perhaps you should play all your golf at Disney, Matt.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 15:30

The London Club have only relaxed their dress code in the clubhouse Matt, not on the course. 

John, I apologise in advance, I am likely to be wearing shorts for our game tomorrow.  And I want my shots this time round too!

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 15:52

Does that mean that you wear trousers on the beech John?

I might if I was up a Beech tree but on a Beach I usually wear swimming trunks, a custom that was handed down to me 72 years ago and has not changed that much.

Correct me if im wrong but here but I think you will find that most of the clothing worn in arab states is tied into religous beliefs. Plenty of Africans wear shorts to keep cool.

Clothing in Arab states dates back to when they were all bedouin tribes and loose long clothing was worn to keep cool. As the Muslim religion is a fairly new one, it is fairly safe to say that the clothing predated any religious cnotations.

Africa on the other hand has  a more temperate climate and shorts are widely worn, probably introduced when we had servicemen supporting our colonial aspirations.

I am a traditionalist, Drew and proud of it. What you do is entirely your business, but do not decry those of us who are still trying to maintain standards. Sloppy dress, sloppy attitude.

Last edit : Tue 30th Jun 2009 16:09
user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 16:16

Matt, I am already in the Old peoples home but you are obviously just spoling for a fight when you say that Z-Balatas are a hard ball, they are not and I have many years of experience with them.

You just cannot trust the media in any form,Sky are no better than the rest of them.

Why you should imagine that expensive equates to snobbery I do not know, you're a Liverpool lad, why not try and get a game at Hoylake and tell me how you get on turning up in the modern version of golfwear.

The emphasis in golf now is how far does it go, balls included, myself, being an old fart appreciates the qualities of a ball that was designed to be controllable. Only those who have this ability will recognise its qualities, the fact that you don't, answers my question.

user77012
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 16:43

Covered in tattoo's and brought up on a council estate if I'd known that I would not have invited you play at Donnington Grove...........

Confesseion, I to have a tattoo only one its on my kn#b it spells out that world famous welsh railway station ........ "what you mean Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch".................

No Rhyl.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:05

Surprised you can remember having that tattoo Dave, been a while since you've seen it.....  

I was also brought up on a council estate and am covered in tattoos (well I have seven with a few more planned).  The estate I was brought up on is in Hull, voted the second worst city to live in Britain (behind Middlesborough).  I'm a time-served apprentice who has worked their way up from the shop floor to where I am and consider myself very much of the working class. 

I relax at home in jeans and tee-shirt, or three-quarter sports trousers in the summer.  However, I'm now sat at my desk at work in a shirt and tie. Why?  Because it's the appropriate dress code for where I am. 

user26342
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:09

Matt,

Glad your taking my advice a while back to chill but it seems very short lived!

From what you have described of your club doesn't sound very appetising & if it were me I'd leave & join somewhere else rather than stick around & have my games spoiled?

We've had this debate over dress codes many a time (do a forum search) & the top & bottom of it is if you don't agree with the club's rules then don't play there, it's that simple!!

John.

Last edit : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:14
user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:10

Drew, being an old man with poor eyesight I make many mistakes when typing my posts, but I usually spot them later on and edit them, as I don't like to see bad spelling. You deserved the one I spoke of because of your attitude. Get over it.

I don't have a soapbox, just opinions, like you, Drew. It does not bother me one bit whether you agree with them or not and shorts are sloppy attire on a golf couirse, in my opinion.

user77012
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:14

Yeh I know your working class, but do you know how you determine whether your working class or middle class?

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:16

Enthrall me Mr Ley.  I know where I'm from but where am I now?

user77012
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:23

When you enter someones living room and it's is too small for the  TV  their working class.........................quilty as charged your Honour I have to breath in to get passed my 50" plasma HD. Ha ha..

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:26

Dave,

Something to do with getting out of the bath?

TheLyth

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:29

37" LCD in 20' by 14' living room.  Looks like I'm middle class then!

user77012
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:32

Defo working class Mr Perry , and its Baff David not Bath!

user26342
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 19:47

Paul,

couldn't have said it better myself.

Mr C, if I'm causing (note the spelling of cause) trouble with what I posted then what were you doing with your posts 

I stand by what I said. If you don't like the rules then don't play there, it's not daft because eventually you will find a club that suits your criteria, that is progress. Just because you haven't come across a culb which you 'think' has snobbery etc doesn't mean you won't find one?

There's no clique (note spelling) on here just a bunch of like minded people who have built up friendships over the years.

I wasn't knocking your club just basing my opinion on your comments as you have moaned quite a bit about the other members, rules etc.

Cheers laddy.

user26342
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 22:34

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top