Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

custom fitting mizuno mx 15s

Posted by: user60926 | Sat 27th Jun 2009 12:37 | Last Reply

Went for another lesson the other day as i am still fatting shots on a regular basis. Spoke to my teaching pro about my irons and when i brought them they were custom fitted for me i had thicker grips, Half inch longer shafts and the lie angle altered by 2 degrees. He decided to check them to see if they had been adjusted correctly the grips and shaft length were correct but the lie angle had not been altered on any of the irons at all. He remeasered me and then altered my irons for me the difference was unbelievable i hit every shot clean not fatting it once which is not like me at all i was hitting it longer with every iron and the ball actually went where i wanted it to. Lesson to be learnt here dont take for granted what your golf shop tells you i will be purchasing my golf gear from my pro in future. Really annoyed at the years i have wasted trying to use these clubs thinking it was me that was at fault when all along they hadnt been fitted correctly. Hopefully my handicap will start to drop and i will enjoy playing more again.

re: custom fitting mizuno mx 15s
user238448
Reply : Sat 27th Jun 2009 13:04

Hi Jason

If you don't mind me asking, what shop fitted you when you bought them.

I have just been fitted for a set of Taylor Made burners @ American Golf and thankfully they seem to be right for me.

Regards

Gary

user52922
Reply : Sat 27th Jun 2009 13:22

Perhaps someone could explain to me how the lie angle, if correct, will prevent anyone hitting the shots fat.

If the lie angle is incorrect for the golfer, such that the toe of the clubhead is tilted well up in relation to the heel, the face is automatically pointing to the hook side of the target line. Conversely, if the clubhead arrives at impact tilted with the heel well up compared to the toe, the face of the clubhead is pointing to the slice side of the target line.

The greater the loft on the face of the clubhead, the more off-line the face will point when the lie angle is not correct for the golfer. Thus, the lie angle is much more important to be fit to the golfer in the irons than it is in the woods, since irons have a little to a lot more loft than do woods.

user52922
Reply : Sat 27th Jun 2009 14:32

Jason, I am pleased that you are happy with the way you are now hitting the ball, although I feel that is due to the lessons and not the lie angle of the club.

All this club fitting is something that I was never brought up with, as in my day, clubs were purchased straight off the rack in a pro shop. Looking at the charts for the modern day thinking in respect of club fitting I notice that I am a standard fit, so this would tell me why I never had any problems hitting any of the clubs I have ever bought in my life.

I think that with the vast range of flexes available these days that it is becoming increasingly more difficult to find the shaft that exactly suits ones swing and I also feel that buying from retail shops is not the way to go as, quite honestly, the knowledge required to offer a complete service is sadly lacking.

Confidence is the key and now you are hitting the irons well your game will progress rapidly.

Last edit : Sat 27th Jun 2009 15:04
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 27th Jun 2009 15:30

I think the main thing here is that Jason is now getting a better shot from his golf clubs.

It probably is just a combination of confidence, lessons and his clubs being altered.

Keep going Jason as now you are not hitting any (or many) fat shots you should see your scores getting better.

Russ

user26342
Reply : Sun 28th Jun 2009 01:38

Matt,

Please don't take this personally but this is the 2nd time you have said that custom fitting is over rated?? Can you explain your reasons for this? Have you been custom fitted, if yes where & did you have a bad experience?

Everyone I know who has been custom fitted, including myself, have all been very pleased with the results & service.

I agree with you on the American golf comment. I went in the other day to purchase a glove & said to the chap I needed a right handed glove, he said "I think you mean a left handed glove, unless your left handed" to which I replied "I am left handed" to which he then replied "in that case you'll need a right handed glove!!!!!"

user52922
Reply : Sun 28th Jun 2009 20:57

Nick, to answer your question I would have to say that in theory the greater the variations the easier it should become to get the perfect one.

Unfortunately this does not seem to work in practice for the simple reason that no one is ever offfered all the possible combinations to try. All one gets stuffed down their throat is what the fitter decides is best for you, or in some cases him.

user26342
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 09:48

Matt,

Thanks for the info.

This is where my custom fit & yours differ. I went to the Belfry where they stock different brands & they don't try & hard sell you a particular make. I also had the cost of the fitting deducted from my bill. As I am 6 foot then I suppose I got more out of than you.

I agree American Golf couldn't fit a pair of shoes let alone a set of clubs.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top