Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The Search for the Perfect Driver - Part 2!!!

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 25th Jun 2009 12:55 | Last Reply

As some of you may know, I'm looking for a new driver at the moment.  I've tried lots and have a fitting session booked for tomorrow at The Belfry to fine tune.  If anyone is interested (unlikely), I've written a blog on my findings of the one's I've tried and linked it below.  I tried to keep an open mind and tried most of them more than once  So you know, I tried the following: -

Nike Dymo, Cleveland Hi-Bore Monster, Cobra S9-1, Ping G10, Callaway Big Bertha Diablo, TaylorMade Burner, Mizuno MX700, TaylorMade R9, Ping Rapture

http://www.golfshake.com/user/blog/11007/1528/Finding_the_Right_Driver_The_Search_for_the_Holy_Grail.html

Last edit : Tue 30th Jun 2009 16:54
re: The Search for the Perfect Driver - Part 2!!!
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 14:49

One of the reasons why I'm looking for a new driver Ian.  I have a tendency to pull or even pull-hook with my current driver unless I ease off, meaning I miss fairways left and leave myself in trouble.  I'm hoping the new driver, properly fitted, will mean I hit more fairways.  I've also been through a phase of over drawing my irons, but I've sorted that out over the last couple of weeks.  My main issue, I believe, is not hitting greens which means I'm adding in a chip before the putting. 

I don't think averaging 220 to 240 (with the odd 260 thrown in when I get it really well or go after it) off the tee is that long, but as Paul Williams posted on another thread, my long game is great.......

Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 15:44

There was nothing wrong with the performance of the Hi-Bore Matt, just that the noise was earth shattering and it really turned me off to the driver.  Spoils what could be a pretty good driver.  I've also tried the XLS 3 wood and was quite impressed with it (it wasn't as noisy but felt pretty solid).  I'm looking to replace my fairways too at the fitting so I'll include that in my blog too. 

Srixon forged irons for me, but they only just edged out the MX25's. 

Like I said in the blog, golf is all about opinions and I think if you can stand the noise the XLS makes then it could well be a good club. 

user38216
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 17:08

I use a Cobra offset driver. The trouble is, Cobra only fit this with a whippy R shaft for seniors. However, thanks to Dave Ley, it now has an Aldila Stiff Shaft to suit my swing speed.  Took it out last night and hit some cracking distances.  At 16 on my local course (361 yards), I hit the shot to 70 yards.  I just need to build a consistant swing, the club is right!!

user69191
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 17:18

Can you upgrade the standard stock shaft in the MX700 to a stiffer Fujikura E-Fit on 360? That may suit? Also, try the Titleist 909D2 and the Adams Speedline.

Paul

Last edit : Thu 25th Jun 2009 17:19
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 17:30

Called the Belfry earlier Paul and the have the Mizzy with the stock Exsar and the Fujikura available to try tomorrow.  Apparently they don't have the full range though. 

user21308
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 19:51

Chris,

How about the MD Ti 460 (the one i was playing at Donnington), great feel off the shallow face, long carry, sweet weighted feel to the whole swing, all the way back and through...and half the price of other 'name' brands.

It's about the only make you haven't tried. This is my third upgrade on an MD driver over the last five or so years and i reckon they build a great club.

If they've got one give it a go.

Last edit : Thu 25th Jun 2009 19:54
user24437
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 20:03

The MD would certainly be the first on my list to try John.  Very underated, always come high in 'budget' categories in tests and they're built in N. Ireland.  Chris won't buy one though because he's a fashion victim...  

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 20:22

Nice write-up on the drivers.

Russ

user26342
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 21:34

Matt,

Intresing read Chris, the only think left to change in my bag is my driver. I been playing the last year with the taylormade tour burner, which when works is sport on but is very unforgiving, something i wasnt told when i bought it. recently i have gome back to my nike *13 degree driver which last night was going a lot straighter and more controlled and further than i remembered. With a swing that felt easy for me. I hadnt noticed how long the shaft in the taylormades were untill i went back I think this makes me have a to rounded swing path the nike im swinging on a more upright plane.
Let us know how you get on with the custom fitting, as im tempted to try maybe something like my nike with a little less loft.

I've got the Burner driver & like you felt it was a bit long (it's an inch longer than most standard drivers) & was thinking of swapping it until I took it back to the Belfry where I was cutom fitted for it. The guy there tried a burner head on a shorter shaft & hey presto. I'm now called 'boring' because I hit fairways all the time!! I've not lost any distance & can average 250-260.

John.

user115085
Reply : Fri 26th Jun 2009 13:26

Chris, you mention Srixon forged irons....Srixon drivers are definitely worth a look. I too have been trying different drivers (sincs about xmas) although limiting my budget to 2nd hand or clearout options. A bit old now but I keep coming back to the Srixon w-506. There have been several revisions since and many positive reviews for them.

user77012
Reply : Fri 26th Jun 2009 18:38

Me thinks his quest may be over by this evening..................

Chris B, 506 driver is very solid.

Most people would be far better off playing their driver at 43" 44"max instead of the ludicrous 45-45 1/2" that are pushed out by the OEM's. You would have far more control and gain distance consistantly ,average lenght of driver on tour is 44" and hardly anyone on tour uses a 35" putter  average is 33" and most of them are 6ft+.

I build my Drivers at 44" sw D4 and then go down the shaft at least 1 1/2

Reply : Fri 26th Jun 2009 19:38

I know that I didn't try everything and that there would be people out there saying "why didn't you try club X?".  It would take me forever to try them all and as soon as I did they'd have been replaced with new ones anyway.  I just tried what was readily available.  Truth is, I wanted to remove the definite 'no's' so that I could get fitted for a driver and fairways at the same session. 

I firmly believe that club selection is down to personal taste and what suits the individual.  If it wasn't, there'd only be one set of clubs out there to buy!  As long as I get something I like and that works well for me, I'll be happy.  I've had my last driver for three years so this isn't an impulse buy. 

This was never intended to be an all encompassing driver review, I just thought I would share my findings, thoughts and opinions with you all.  I don't suggest I know everything and that my word should be taken as gospel, in fact I actually said in the blog that you all should do as I did and try as many as you can until you find what's right for you. 

Last edit : Fri 26th Jun 2009 19:41
user79118
Reply : Fri 26th Jun 2009 19:53

Intersting point on the putter length there Dave. Recently purchased a Yes putter and love the feel and the weight of it but have noticed, when I look at my stats, that I am now taking 2 or 3 putts more per round than with my old putter. The Yes putter is 34" while my old putter was 35 1/2". I am currently getting my new Yes putter lengthened to 35 1/2" as I feel that I am too hunched up over my putts. This goes against what you have said about tour players. Should I have just persisted with the new length or is my putter swing too ingrained now to alter it? Only time will tell I suppose.

user79118
Reply : Sun 28th Jun 2009 18:45

A bit off topic I know but.....Played today with my old putter (35 1/2"as the new Yes putter has not come back to me yet, extended to 35 1/2". Only had 32 putts all round compared to 37/38 with the shorter Yes putter. Those I did miss tended to be short as it took a few holes to re-adjust to the lighter weight. Can't wait to get it back now and see if the new length has made a difference.

Last edit : Sun 28th Jun 2009 19:00
user202373
Reply : Sun 28th Jun 2009 22:47

i play with hibore monster driver and love the noise ,and think its brill but to be honest i havent tried any different models  to give any advice on other drivers but will say the monster is great ,and the xls is more or less the same driver has my m8 has it,monster just has bigger sweet spot,nice read m8.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 16:47

OK, here's the update after my fitting session at the weekend.  Be interested to hear people's thoughts and comments.

http://www.golfshake.com/user/blog/11007/1534/Finding_the_Right_Driver_The_Search_for_the_Holy_Grail_Part_2.html

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:01

Oh my Gawd, I am up against a new driver tomorrow then, Chris.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:14

And a 3 and 5 wood too John.  That's three excuses I have when you beat me then!  Although the 5 wood did find the green from the fairway bunker on the right of the 9th yesterday.  About 190 yards uphill from the bunker; I'll take that!

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:17

Great shot that, Chris, don't see many on that green for two.

I am bringing a change of driver myself, no doubt it will be just as bad as the others.

Last edit : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:18
user77012
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:17

Glad you have had positive results Perryranger I think you would have seen avast improvmet with a DVS stiff in you sumo which you were also getting good launch numbers from.

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:20

When I have demoralised him tomorrow evening, Dave I expect he will be asking for a DVS in his Sumo. They are always searching for something these guys with bottomless pockets.

Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 17:27

The bottom of the pockets has been well and truly found John.  The driver was my birthday present from my wife and the old one has been in my bag for 3 years now.  The 3 and 5 woods joined it two months later. 

I did seriously consider getting my driver reshafted, but I decided after the good (and sometimes bad!) service it has given me it was time to retire the old girl. 

user26342
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 22:17

Chris,

Liam is the same chap that has custom fitted me twice. He's a sound chap with a good knowledge of equipment & I'm sure his recommendation will serve you in good stead.

Let's hope this new driver will weave it's magic  against John P tomorrow?

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 23:03

So the Midlands fan club is taking this game serously.

user26342
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 23:26

John,

i would never bet against you.

Reply : Wed 1st Jul 2009 08:54

I would never bet against him either, and I'm playing him! 

Yes the new driver will be in play tomorrow.  Just about got the grip position for the reminder rib right now and realised that most of the time when I get it wrong it's because I haven't committed to the swing.  A driver that works better when you swing it harder - quality!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top