Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: user125861 | Thu 25th Jun 2009 12:08 | Last Reply

After 9 months i finally cracked 100,shooting 98 this morning at Southern Valley in Gravesend.My biggest improvement was parring the 3 par 5's(never parred any of them before).I didnt scuff any shots ,only bad hole was an 8 on the par 4 16th.Will this be the turning point for me or will i be back to 105-115 again next week. I will be basking in my glory all weekend.

re: AT LAST!!!!!!!!!
user50354
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 12:28

Now that you have cracked 100 you will do it time and time again but there will be days when ahem............

user34817
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 12:51

Well done Mark.  I play Southern Valley a fair bit and must say that my bogey hole is the par 5 8th.  I wouldn't like to guess how many balls I have lost in the bushes up the right side.  I do like the par 5 2nd as it is fairly forgiving and if you get a decent drive it will roll for miles after landing.  I have parred the par 5 on the back on a few ocassions and seem to find this a fairly easy hole to play.  My problem recently has been the par 3's up there.  I seem to walk off with a five on nearly every one!

Keep up the good scoring!

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 14:53

Well done Mark, great feeling isn't it.  The next time will be much easier and you'll be wondering why you couldn't do it.  Next target is 95 as Chris H said.  Then 90, then 85, then 80.......  It never ends! 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 16:57

Congratulations Mark.

The good thing is that now you have broken 100 you should start doing it on a regular basis.

Russ

user215495
Reply : Sun 28th Jun 2009 19:08

Hi Guys , Glad to hear your breaking the hundred barrier ,i was one of the lucky ones only took 3 rounds...126 , 106 , 99 , kept under hundred since then, ( its gets harder to get lower tho ) best advice i can give , is dont try and kill the ball each time you hit it , just find a nice tempo that works for you and use it , you'll improve , my next taraget is breaking par , i've parred my local course par 68 , and missed 2 easy birdies on the way , set yourself targets ( achiveable targets ), it will work and rhythm is the key , good luck to you all...G

user79118
Reply : Sun 28th Jun 2009 19:25

Graham, I know what your saying there. find a nice tempo etc. Trouble is I get carried away when I get a string of pars and think I'm invincible like today when I had 7 on the trot followed by a double cos I went to leather it instead of keeping my tempo. Breaking 80 regularly is my next goal and I think if I can keep my head it is definately possible.

user115937
Reply : Sun 28th Jun 2009 22:59

Well done Mark. I'm in the same boat as you kind of!

Went round my home course today in 97 after rounds of 106, 108,114 and then 110 (Its a tough course!).  Even had a 10 on one hole too today (No idea what happened on that one).  I have hit a few sub 100 rounds on another course but its an easier course then my new home club.  So, I've finally seen my playing handicap drop from 28 to 27.  No big deal you may say, but its been a long 10 month road to get here and I'm well chuffed. 

All the best

Matt

user202373
Reply : Sun 28th Jun 2009 23:00

well done there mark,i agree with chirs about the tempo its very hard to keep it up when ya get a nice run of pars and birdies golf is about being consistant i can get 5 pars on the run then go get  3 treble bogeys and it gets in my head and ill go to pieces ,my aim is also to  break 80 regular i needed a par on the last yesterday for a 79 and balooned my tee shot in the trees on the left and took a 7 grrrrrrrrrrrrrr,stupid bloody game

user215495
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 18:24

Hi Mark , glad to hear you nearly did it again , consistency is hard to come by , but persevere and you'll make it...as for not hitting driver , its not as hard as it seems..Firstly you need to check you have a correct grip, hole the club as if shaking hands left and right, and if on the range try a few half swings , dont try and knock the cover off the ball, to get a good position with driver i'd say stand with feet together position ball just opposite big left toe , then take one small step left and and move right foot so shoulder width apart, this gives a good start to hitting driver, you actually catch the driver on the slight upswing, but you dont need to kill it , trust the club to do the work for you its designed for it. Also another point yardages, get to know " YOUR " yardages, no one elses just yours , dont worry if you hit a 6 iron 150 yards and your mate hits a 9 , it doesnt matter how you get there or what club you've hit, as long as your comfortable with it, GOOD LUCK in breaking it again..keep us informed

G

user215495
Reply : Mon 29th Jun 2009 18:31

Hi Mark , glad to hear you nearly did it again , consistency is hard to come by , but persevere and you'll make it...as for not hitting driver , its not as hard as it seems..Firstly you need to check you have a correct grip, hole the club as if shaking hands left and right, and if on the range try a few half swings , dont try and knock the cover off the ball, to get a good position with driver i'd say stand with feet together position ball just opposite big left toe , then take one small step left and and move right foot so shoulder width apart, this gives a good start to hitting driver, you actually catch the driver on the slight upswing, but you dont need to kill it , trust the club to do the work for you its designed for it. Also another point yardages, get to know " YOUR " yardages, no one elses just yours , dont worry if you hit a 6 iron 150 yards and your mate hits a 9 , it doesnt matter how you get there or what club you've hit, as long as your comfortable with it, GOOD LUCK in breaking it again..keep us informed

G

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Jun 2009 09:01

Good sound advice Graham.  I've just had a new driver and I'm just trying to get the grip position right on it.  It has a reminder rib like my irons, but the position of the rib on the driver is slightly different so I'm just trying to get it right at the moment.  Think I will try your 'shaking hands' analogy. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top