Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

handicaps how to play (rant)

Posted by: user16742 | Thu 25th Jun 2009 08:52 | Last Reply

Bit of a rant so sorry,

found out yesterday that my hanicap had gone up to 25, that doesnt bother me as i been going through a bad patch which hopefully now is sorted (thanks john and ben hogan) I know that off the yellows i can play to a lot lower than that say 19-20 ish.
See i got my handicap down from 28 by winning a few 14 hole comps off yellows ( so i think they called it on general play) and one sweep. which got me down to 24. I still play in the 14 hole yellow comps and score more stabelford points then i should hc wise but not been cut as people are still scoring more than me stupid scores like 40's .
So I know I im quite capable of playing to handicap and better off yellows. The whites are slightly tougher for me as a few of them make it to far for me. But I like golf and play in the compertition nearly every weekend even if it means me playing of 3/4 of 18 i just go to play golf and compete and maybe get a 2. Also i do this so i can get out early and have the rest of the day for family, otherwise id have to wait till 2 to get out for a knock. This is why i have been getting my point ones back.

Others i know have had a few *lucky* rounds in the 14 hole comps and have been cut to lower handicaps that they cant play to. But they keep these handicaps as they dont play in the weekend copertitions so dont get there .1 back. and then gloat that there handicap is better.

So what do you guys think is it better to play like i do in the comps and try keep my handicap active even if it does go up. or would i be better just chosing the compertitions that i play and try to get cut. and then not go into play if i have no chance, and play a practice round on the afternoon  

re: handicaps how to play (rant)
user26342
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 09:21

Matt,

your handicap is what you are capable of playing to at this particular time. Playing off the whites is always going to be harder & there have been ,any a post on here debating this. I wouldn't stop playing in any comp regardless.

It's better to have a realistic handicap than do what other people do & say there off scratch but actually there a high handicapper

John.

user50354
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 12:25

They will soon cut you Matt after a couple of comp wins.,,

I know your better than a 25 hcap and I also know your recent dip is due to your lessons and once you are compfortable with the changes your pro has done you will benefit no end...

And if that don't work then once Dennis Shaw gets my letter you will be cut....

Last edit : Thu 25th Jun 2009 12:26
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 13:54

Matt,

Don't worry about your Hcp, just go play and enjoy yourself.

A lot of the guys who can be found in Clubhouses across the country talking about their single figure Hcp, are never seen on the course. Why? because they can't or won't play anymore.

The same guys are also the first to shout "BANDIT" when a good score is returned.

These people can be found at all Clubs.

TheLyth

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 14:54

Formal warning to The Lyth for use of the 'B' word on the forum.  I expect an apology to be posted forthwith  

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 15:35

But if I called them "DICKS" (Dick Turpin) I'd also get my wrists slapped.

So it's "Sherman Tanks", "The Scottish Play" and ?????????

TheLyth

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 15:38

Cheating gits

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 16:48

Already said, but forget about your handicap and enjoy your golf.

If you play enough and are enjoying your game the handicap will follow.

Also, when you play for fun/practice why not play off the white tees?

I always play off the white tees when playing golf as I believe this will help me when playing the club competitions.

A bonus of playing the white tees is that when you have a round from the yellow tees the holes seem so much shorter!

Russ

user69191
Reply : Fri 26th Jun 2009 20:19

Any golfers handicap should be calculated by playing 18 holes, not 14, so its not valid Matt.

Paul

user99350
Reply : Fri 26th Jun 2009 21:23

I get a little drowsy when I hear people go on ad nauseum about their handicap: either it's unfair how it's calculated or high handicappers always put the winning position out of reach with 44 points etc. Shut up and take your lumps like the rest of us. It's a game and it's not as if it's your livelihood or they're taking food off the table.

If you got 36 points then well done, if more you might get cut, if less get some practice in. That's really all there is to it.

user26342
Reply : Tue 14th Jul 2009 09:50

Chris,

I hope they've had their handicaps cut??

John

user26342
Reply : Tue 14th Jul 2009 10:07

I think for club championships people should have played a minimuma amount of monthly medals to qualify for entry.

In 2008 our club championship was won by someone similar.

user93554
Reply : Tue 14th Jul 2009 12:39

I think that all cards should be put in for handicapping, not just competition ones, and there should be a SSS for each set of tees (there may be already)?

Your handicap would then reflect how you play, not jsut how you played in the rounds where you handed your card in.  In situations like those mentioned above a person could be disqualified from the competition (retrospectivly as well) if it was found they had not been handing their cards in.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top