Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Left handed club

Posted by: user231824 | Wed 24th Jun 2009 14:35 | Last Reply

As a right handed player I seem to be coming across quite a few situations where I cannot get a swing at the ball. i.e behind a bush or tree, or at the base of a conifer.

As I only carry 12 clubs at present would it be within the rules to carry a left handed club, as I think this could be the difference of the next shot being a 9/pw to the green rather than a 6/7 iron.

re: Left handed club
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 24th Jun 2009 17:12

Brett, I can see no reason why you cannot have a left handed club in your bag.

Seeing as you are allowed to carry 14 clubs and you only have 12 then you would still be within the maximum number of clubs allowed.

A good tip is to practice playing shots with your back to the target.  Then whey you get into this kind of situation you have a shot to play.

As already stated a better idea is to keep the ball in play!  (Wow, that sounds so easy to do, so why can't I do it?)

Russ

user99350
Reply : Wed 24th Jun 2009 18:11

Brett, as long as the club is legal carry what you want, however, if you're a natural right hander, playing left handed shots might get you into more bother unless you've got a talent for them.

user52922
Reply : Wed 24th Jun 2009 18:43

I usually turn a 9 iron upside down and play left handed.

user52922
Reply : Wed 24th Jun 2009 19:31

I doubt that very much, Paul, although I used to be able to hit that particular shot a good wedge distance. Now I  just use it out of necessity and play it safe with a chip sideways. Chris Perry is quite adept at that shot as well, having witnessed him play it.

user231824
Reply : Wed 24th Jun 2009 21:01

ok, cheers for the tips, I am playing in the morning so if the situation comes along I'll try 9 iron trick. thanks John.

As far as the accuracy thing goes the aims getting better (touch wood) but as we all witnessed in the US open even the pro's hit wayward sometimes

thanks again.

user79118
Reply : Wed 24th Jun 2009 22:52

I play any left handed shot with the back of my 3 iron as its fairly upright and is good enough for a punt up towards the green. Used to use my old putter which was straight faced either side. Bigger face to strike the ball with as opposed to the toe end of a wedge type club.

user24437
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 00:17

I've used my putter left handed on numerous occasions, the ledge at the back of the blade gets a bit of elevation and I can get a good 30ft from it.

I tend to get quite a bit of practice of getting out of obscure parts of courses and am now getting quite adept at it unfortunately..

user77012
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 06:19

I have turned a PW or 9 iron around but I have best  success as Tim has with my putter. Paul, I don't hitting a ball between your legs is strictly legal,I may be wrong.

user50354
Reply : Thu 25th Jun 2009 08:43

To practice try turning your back to the green, turn a 7 iron around and chip to the pin.

Eventually you will succeed in holing out........

And they say you don't have eyes in the back of your head....

Last edit : Thu 25th Jun 2009 08:44

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top