Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

using hybrid irons

Posted by: user91133 | Sat 20th Jun 2009 19:54 | Last Reply

Hi.  I'm new to the game of golf. i bought some second hand cheap clubs, and after about a year, I felt that I'd gone as far as I could with them. I have bought a set of wilson staff irons but the 3 & 4 are hybrids and I am struggling with them, (when I say struggle-it's an understatement, I can't hit the ball) I am topping the ball every time, even off the tees. my other irons (5-9) are no problems. has anyone any suggestions? it's getting seriously bad. in a match earlier today, I got as far as the 10th hole and had to make my apologies and quit because I was so deflated and downhearted, at the moment, I just feel like getting rid  of the clubs and finishing with the game completely. do I adjust my stance, grip, address etc.?

re: using hybrid irons
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 20th Jun 2009 19:57

Welcome to the site John.

It could be you are not sweeping the ball away with the long irons.

As it appears that you are using the five iron and above well then it could be you are hitting down on the ball and just mistiming it.

Russ

user133274
Reply : Sat 20th Jun 2009 20:46

john

maybe the ball is to far forward when you set up to it. move it towards your back foot and concentrate on getting a good strike on the ball instead of swinging very hard. also untill you are good at hitting your hybrids try laying up and hitting your 5 iron. you dont have to hit the green in regulation to make a par. practise your short game and watch your handicap go down

user69191
Reply : Mon 22nd Jun 2009 19:03

Hi John, if you're topping the ball then it could be any number of things, the two main ones are a) you're lifting your head up on the downswing, this can be cured by conciously keeping it dead still throughout the swing, and b) you're bending your left arm on the downswing keep it dead straight through the whole swing, your ball should be positioned just left of centre when swinging with a hybrid.

Study this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-zz2_GYsFs

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0HyTaUtfrE&feature=related

Note thats the heads are still and the left arms are straight, tee the ball up and just try it with an easy 3/4 swing.

Paul

Last edit : Mon 22nd Jun 2009 19:07

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top