Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Going Backwards!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 18th Jun 2009 19:55 | Last Reply

I played golf all through the winter months, just so I could keep my swing going for the when the warm weather arrived.

Well what a waste of time that was!!!

Now that the warm weather is here my golf seems to be going backwards.

I was down to a 12 handicap (11.9) and over the past two months I'm now back up to a 14 handicap (13.6).  During this time I've not reduced my handicap once, had about five rounds within my buffer zone, but the rest have been a 0.1 adjustment.

To make it even worse, roughly three weeks ago for a period of two or three weeks I was swinging my clubs as good as I have ever done.  All through this period I was waiting for that great score but it never happened.

I play at the moment and although I play well enough I just don't seem to be able to score well.

Another thing that I have started to do recently is to try and hit the ball correctly, ie, taking a divot.  I went on the practice ground recently and have tried to make the correct contact with the ball, ball first and then turf.  I'm doing this well at the moment but I have noticed the increase in distance contacting the ball this way brings!

My problem at the moment is that when I play a round of golf I sometimes hit the ball fat now, something I haven't done for quite a while.

Being as I'm always looking on the bright side of things I sure it will come good soon.

Does anybody else feel like this?

Russ

re: Going Backwards!
user52922
Reply : Thu 18th Jun 2009 20:15

One of the joys of golf, Russell. I'm afraid. Just when you think you have it mastered it bites you back severely.

user52922
Reply : Thu 18th Jun 2009 20:29

Summer golf is not always easier than winter golf. We now have firmer greens, the rough is penal at my club and good scores are hard to come by.

user99350
Reply : Fri 19th Jun 2009 14:52

Sorry I've no sympathy for you fair weather golfers. Golf is like a marraige, if you don't keep up to it you'll end up in the sh*t.

However swinging the club is only thing I need to address. I think there is a gulf difference between Winter and Summer play as JP hinted. Winter golf, is more akin to target golf cos you can get the stop. Summer golf is much more in the lap of the gods and reminds me a bit like links golf. My biggest frustration is the bounce and run of the ball, especially from 80 yds in. The only alternative is using lob wedges facilitating a near vertical land on the green but I believe these to be more difficult in summer too as the turf is much harder...it's more difficult. Putting on lightning fast greens (getting faster by the week) really highlights your deficiencies ie purity of stike, ensuring you don't hit it slighly in to out or vice versa or god forbid hit it above the centre of the ball. 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 19th Jun 2009 15:03

Well would you believe it!

I played the same course today as I did yesterday and took 82 shots.

Take away my 14 handicap and that meant a 68, which is one under the SSS for the course, so my handicap has gone down 0.3 making me a 13 handicap player again!

I have to agree about the differences in playing winter and summer golf but to be honest I don't find it that different.

Russ

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 19th Jun 2009 15:08

Patrick,

Just wait until they get to Augusta speed on a windy day, you'll need cycle clips.

TheLyth

user99350
Reply : Fri 19th Jun 2009 16:43

David, and a bottle of Valium...I swear my hair is going grey(er) by the round. 

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 19th Jun 2009 17:06

Patrick,

Have you had the joy (!!!!*?) of having to putt from the back to front pins at 4 & 18?

Square Balls are needed to keep the thing on the green at times.

TheLyth

user99350
Reply : Fri 19th Jun 2009 18:39

David, I've been fortunate enough to be below the 4th so far, however I did over hit my second on the 18th. Chasing a par my only option was a 60% flop shot over a mound to the top middle tier (or should I say tear). Well executed shot which went an inch too far and you can guess the rest...30 yds downhill.

user235379
Reply : Fri 19th Jun 2009 22:30

i find winter golf easier, not because of the short course but i like target golf more.

Reply : Sat 20th Jun 2009 18:21

Typical, put up this post on Thursday, after shooting a 96!

Then yesterday I went around in 82 shots, therefore reducing my handicap by 0.3 shots.

So I go out today and shot 80, only 10 over par, 11 over the SSS.

This reduced my handicap by a further 0.6 shots.

So over the last two days I've reduced my handicap by 0.9 shots.

What a funny old game golf is....

Russ

user52922
Reply : Sat 20th Jun 2009 18:29

Looking like I am not needed, Russ. Well done.

Reply : Sat 20th Jun 2009 19:55

I'm looking forward to meeting you John.

There could be a couple of things you can help me with so I'll see you on Monday.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top