Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Hitting driver too high

Posted by: user95228 | Sun 14th Jun 2009 10:25 | Last Reply

Ok, so I'm in a very strange, but not too bad situation!

Anyway, I am hitting my driver way to high vertically - but the horizontal distance is good (about 260-270yds). Any tips on keeping it down? I generally hit it straight with a slight draw.

My driver is a 9.5º Taylor Made R5 TP.

Thanks in advance.

re: Hitting driver too high
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 14th Jun 2009 12:56

Marc,

Do you naturally hit the Ball high?

What do you judge your flight against?

How high do you Tee the Ball?

Does the height you hit it cause you problems?

TheLyth

user99350
Reply : Fri 28th Aug 2009 08:51

Marc, 'height' is subjective. if your achieving 270yds then it can't be that high as I'd assume that was all carry. Has this been a gradual thing? or coincided with a change of club or tweak to your swing? 9.5* should ensure you hit it low. I tend to hit it high too but into  the wind I'll tee down so the ball is lined up just above centre of the face.

I'd suggest that you're coming into strike too steeply. Look at where your club head is pointing at top of the swing. Practice with an over emphasis on sweeping the ball off the tee.

Having said all that...you're 1.7 handicap so stop the griping. 

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 28th Aug 2009 11:10

Marc,

Here are a couple of suggestions to try out.

1" for a R9 seems low. Have you gone to that height to try and keep it down? If you have Tee it higher and "Hover" at address and sweep the ball away.

Check that you are not leaning back at Impact and that the club moves through the ball at the target.

Into wind, try to make sure your hands are ahead of the Clubhead at impact and forget the follow-through and going for a "Golf World" finish.

Try these and let me know what happens.

TheLyth

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 30th Aug 2009 13:21

My thoughts on this is if you are getting good distance (which you are) leave it alone. You dont want to mess that up.

When playing in the wind there is always the option of a 3 wood or low irons

user60056
Reply : Sun 30th Aug 2009 23:36

Hi Marc I know this might sound daft but wet your ball when you tee it up and make sure your driver face is dry.After the shot check the face of your driver to see where the ball made contact, if it is right at the top or even going over the top and scuffing the paint on the top of the head your entry angle into impact is too steep this could mean your ball is not far enough forward in your stance so you are striking on the down swing like an iron when it should be on the upswing give it a go on the range it could be that simple, this is the problem I had and that cure fixed it I now drive 280 plus in summer and the ball stays quite low

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top