Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

I finally did it!!!

Posted by: user95093 | Tue 9th Jun 2009 21:27 | Last Reply

After months of coming close I finally broke 90 today....just!

Hit an 89 round Boysnope in Manchester which I'm very proud of...especially after starting with 3 double bogeys on the trot!!!!

Now I just have to do it again :-)

Chris

re: I finally did it!!!
user235379
Reply : Wed 10th Jun 2009 00:03

85 next, well done

user50354
Reply : Wed 10th Jun 2009 08:25

3 double bogeys and an 89 is good shooting

Well done......

user83900
Reply : Wed 10th Jun 2009 13:03

Well done Chris - keep it up!

I also broke 90 for first time just a few weeks ago. I firmly believe that partly it was down to the psychological/mental side of the game as well. Recently I read a couple of books - Bob Rotella, 'Golf is not a game of perfect' - and 'Putting out of your mind' Both books are well worth a read in my opinion, basically has made me change the way I approach playing all together.

One of the things I now do is just mark my score down on the card for each hole but make a concious effort not to add up my score until the end. When I broke 90 I missed a five footer on the last and thought "damn, bet that's cost me breaking 90" - when I added up I had shot an 84!!! I'm certain that my last few holes would have been a lot higher if I had realised/known I was scoring quite as well approaching the end of the round!

Just take each shot as it comes - totally focus on where you're aiming and forget bad shots, you can only deal with your next shot, not ones you've already played.

Just passing on some of the wisdom I've learnt recently!!

Last edit : Wed 10th Jun 2009 13:05
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 10th Jun 2009 15:43

Congratulations on breaking 90 for the first time.

Now you will have to set your sights a little lower, say 85 for your next target.

Russ

user41897
Reply : Sun 14th Jun 2009 15:40

Just to add that I have been trying to get to a stage of hitting high 90's consistently for some time and lo and behold, on a course in poor condition, I managed to shoot a 90 on Friday evening.  As a result my handicap drops 3.2 strokes to a fabulous 24.8.  How chuffed am I.

I am a great fan of Dr Bob's books.  Golf is not a game of perfect got me back out on the course this year having given it a break for 6 months out of frustration.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top